Ch- 8 "Shades of Grey"

As Hyunjin's eyes fluttered open, he was greeted by a sudden gasp for air, his chest heaving with the remnants of a forgotten nightmare. Frantically scanning the room, he searched for Minho, expecting to find him nestled beside him on the bed.

But Minho was nowhere to be found.

Instead, Hyunjin's gaze fell upon a surprising sight. There, on the couch across the room, sat Minho, clad in an unbuttoned white shirt that revealed a glimpse of his toned chest. His glasses perched on his nose, and a book held loosely in his hand, he seemed absorbed in his own world.

Confusion clouded Hyunjin's mind as he struggled to comprehend the scene before him. Had Minho been awake all this time? Why hadn't he returned to bed?

Sensing Hyunjin's gaze upon him, Minho glanced up from his book, a faint smirk playing on his lips as he adjusted his glasses. There was a hint of amusement in his lavender-hued eyes, but beneath the playful facade, Hyunjin detected a flicker of concern.

"Hyung," Hyunjin began, his voice tentative as he sat up in bed, the sheets pooling around his waist. "What are you doing there?"

Minho's smirk widened into a knowing grin, his expression tinged with mischief. "Just couldn't sleep," he replied casually, though there was a subtle edge to his tone that didn't escape Hyunjin's notice.

A sense of unease washed over Hyunjin as he observed Minho's relaxed demeanor. There was something different about him, something that hinted at the weight of unspoken words lingering between them.

"Are you alright?" Hyunjin asked, his concern evident in his voice as he studied Minho's features for any sign of distress.

Minho's smile faltered for a moment, his gaze flickering away before returning to meet Hyunjin's gaze head-on. "I'm fine," he assured him, though there was a hint of evasion in his tone.

Unsure of what to make of Minho's cryptic response, Hyunjin hesitated, unsure whether to press the issue further or let it go. But before he could decide, Minho shifted his position on the couch, his attention returning to the book in his hand as he turned a page with deliberate slowness.

The tension between them lingered in the air, thick and palpable, as Hyunjin struggled to find the right words to bridge the growing divide. But as he opened his mouth to speak, he found himself at a loss, the words eluding him like fleeting shadows in the night.

With a resigned sigh, Hyunjin sank back against the pillows, his thoughts swirling in a maelstrom of confusion and uncertainty. He knew that something had shifted between them, something fundamental that threatened to unravel the fragile threads of their bond.

Hyunjin's eyes adjusted to the dim light of the room, a pang of realization struck him. Memories of their argument before sleep flooded back, and he remembered his own words echoing in his mind: " I won't touch."

The weight of those words hung heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the room and deepening the divide between them. Hyunjin's heart sank as he realized the impact of his own declaration, the hurt evident in Minho's distant gaze.

With a heavy sigh, Hyunjin swallowed the lump forming in his throat, his guilt threatening to consume him. He had promised not to touch Minho, and now, faced with the consequences of his own words, he couldn't help but regret the distance that had grown between them.

Minho's presence on the couch seemed to magnify the chasm that had formed between them, a silent reminder of the rift that threatened to tear them apart. As Hyunjin struggled to find the right words to bridge the divide, he felt a pang of longing for the warmth of Minho's embrace, for the closeness they had shared before the argument had torn them apart.