Dare For Distance

1

Nova's POV

 "Oh, turn it up, Chris. I love this song!" I laughed from the driver's seat. "Honestly, what is good music doing on the radio? I don't know how I feel about this," said Chris turning to knob on the car stereo as I hummed along to "Whistle for the Choir" by The Fratellis. "Just go with it," I said. Chris grinned and relaxed a little. He was nervous like he always got when we went to see my parents. I grabbed his hand, "Dude, my parents love you. It's fine, we've done this loads of times. Right?" I asked. Chris nodded but still seemed fairly tense. I hadn't seen him this nervous about seeing them since two years ago when he first met them, I was starting to worry.

 It was a long drive to Madison, Wisconsin from Joplin, nearly ten hours, but I insisted we tried to make the drive. Chris was hesident because of the winter roads, but he finally gave in. 

 "Nova, it's quarter after ten. Do you think we should pull over for a few minutes?" asked Chris. He was worried about me because I'd been driving for three hours straight. "Would you mind?" I mumbled sleepily. " 'Course not. There's a car stop right there," he replied, pointing to a stop about half a mile up. I nodded and turned into the parking lot.  

 Chris and switched sides for the third time. "You sure you're alright with this?" I checked before sliding into the passenger seat. "I'm fine, Nova. You just rest a bit, okay?" Thank you, I mouthed. Chris buckled into the drivers side of the Bronco and put it into gear. I slide across the bench seat until I was directly next to him. I rested my head on his shoulder and closed my tired eyes. 

 Chris kissed the top of my head and whispered into my blond hair. "I love you so much, Nova." I buried my head into his shoulder and smiled contently. "I love you too, Chris. So much," I whispered. I closed my eyes and drifted off too sleep. 

He screamed my name. 

He tried to protect me. 

I saw the fear in his hazel eyes.

He couldn't do anything, it was too late. 

The world kept flipping. 

I prayed this wasn't the last time I'd see him.  

Chris' POV 

 I glanced down at her, she was so beautiful. "I love you so much, Nova," I whispered. "I love you too, Chris. So much." In that moment, I was absolutely sure that I wanted to marry her. And that's what I planned to do. I had a ring, it'd just be a few more days now until I proposed, Christmas Eve. I drove in the comfortable silence, feeling her breathing beside me and the warmth radiating from her. 

 Almost thirty minutes had passed since we switched when it happened. It was too late though. A truck came out of nowhere and blindsided us. "Nova!" I screamed, throwing myslef infront of her. Her eyes shot open for a split second and she stared at me. We flipped, from what I counted, twice. I thought it would never end. 

 I took in the upside-down world around me. I'm not dead. I made a note to thank somebody for that later. Nova. "Nova?" I whispered. She had her eyes closed, almost like she was sleeping. The only difference was the blood that trickled from her head. "Nova!" I yelled.  "God, no. Please, no." I started crying. I grab her wrist just to be sure. But she had a pulse. It was a small bit of relief but I knew I had to get her out of here and get help. 

 It was horrible and painful crawling over broken glass but the only thing on my mind was Nova. I set her down as far away from the car as I could get her, then pulled out my cell phone with bloody hands. I dialed the number and waited. 

"911, what is your emergency?" 

"There was a two-car crash. On 151 South. We're by exit 69B. Please hurry."