1.

I stand in our cramped kitchen, the stack of bills mocking me from the table. Carlos is passed out on the couch again, empty beer bottles littering the floor like casualties of a war we're losing. The weight of uncertainty presses down on me as I tally up our debts, each one a reminder of our precarious situation. How did we end up here? How do I pull us out? These questions haunt me as I struggle to find a glimmer of hope in the suffocating darkness of our reality.

The sound of the doorbell jolts me from my thoughts. With a heavy sigh, I wipe my hands on my apron and make my way to the door. It's probably just another bill collector or a neighbor complaining about the noise again. But as I swing the door open, I'm met with a sight I never expected.

Standing before me is Lady Evelina Hastings, the mistress of one of the wealthiest families in town. She's impeccably dressed, her posture exuding confidence and grace. I can't help but feel a pang of envy as I take in her poise, a stark contrast to the chaos of my own life.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Ramirez," she says, her voice smooth as silk. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything."

I shake my head, too stunned to form words. What could Lady Hastings possibly want with me?

Lady Evelina offers a warm smile, her eyes filled with a mix of sympathy and curiosity. "I've noticed your diligent work here at the mansion," she begins, her voice carrying a gentle tone. "And I couldn't help but admire your dedication."

I nod, still unsure where this conversation is leading. Lady Evelina's presence alone feels surreal, like a dream I'm afraid to wake up from.

She pauses, as if carefully choosing her words. "Mrs. Ramirez, I have a proposition for you," she continues, her tone cautious yet determined. "I am unable to conceive a child of my own, and my husband and I have been exploring other options."

My heart skips a beat at her words, a flicker of understanding dawning within me. But before I can fully grasp the weight of her proposition, Lady Evelina's next words leave me speechless.

"I would like to offer you a substantial sum of money," she says, her gaze unwavering. "In exchange for carrying our child."

The air in the room seems to thin, my mind reeling from the unexpected offer. Carry their child? The idea feels both surreal and terrifying, a chance to escape our financial turmoil yet a moral dilemma I never anticipated facing.

As I search for words to respond, Lady Evelina's expression softens, her hand reaching out in a gesture of comfort. "Take your time to consider it, Mrs. Ramirez," she says, her voice gentle yet firm. "This is not a decision to be made lightly."

With that, she offers a small nod before turning to leave, leaving me standing in the doorway, my mind spinning with possibilities and uncertainties.