2.

After Lady Evelina leaves,I go back to cleaning the tiny room we call a kitchen. My husband is still asleep on the couch and his soft snores are the only sounds that echo throughout the house.

"Carlos.." I gently tap his shoulder to wake him up when I finish cleaning up.

As Carlos opens his drowsy eyes, I can see he's not fully sober yet. His gaze meets mine, and I can't help but wonder if he'll notice the unease in my expression.

What Lady Evelina said still rings in my ears.

I mean sure I'll need the money but I can't stoop so low as to be her surrogate. I haven't even bore a child for my husband. Yet.

"Qué?" He croaks and the strong smell of alcohol wafts through my nose.
I cringe before helping him sit up.

"Carlos this is unhealthy. All of this. Your drinking is getting out of hand and we barely have enough to make ends meet." I complain painfully. I feel tears sting my eyes but I bite them back. I don't want him to see me like this.

"Elena,don't worry about me." He caresses my cheek gently before getting off of the couch.
He stumbles a bit but manages to make it to our bedroom.

How did it get to this?

What happened to my kind and loving husband?

I cover my face with my palm for a while and when I calm down,I turn off all the lights before going to the bedroom.

He's sprawled out on the bed and a pang of pain hits my chest.

My husband.

This isn't him.

I don't know this man.

I take a blanket from the closet and cover myself with it.

The next day.

Whenever I wake up first, it's not a good thing. That means I'll never sleep till that evening and that's when my innermost thoughts would emerge.

I get off the bed and get ready for work. At least I was given time to think about it.

It's all too sudden. This is too much.

Lady Evelina must've been dared or something cause this sounds like a joke.

I know rich people play this sick game where they bet off money in order to see who'll complete the task.

Yes,I'm sure it's a wager.

I stand in our small, dimly lit bedroom,a feeling of uncertainty blooming,as I watch Carlos stir from his drunken stupor. The morning light filters through the curtains, casting a soft glow on his form. His eyes blink open, heavy with the weight of his indulgence, and I feel a pang of sorrow deep within me.

"Carlos," I whisper, my voice trembling with emotion. "Please, you have to stop. I can't bear to see you like this anymore."

He struggles to focus, his gaze finally settling on my tear-streaked face. Guilt washes over him, mingling with the remnants of last night's alcohol haze. He reaches out a hand, his movements slow and uncertain.

"I'm sorry, Elena," he murmurs, his voice thick with remorse. "I didn't mean for things to be like this."

I shake my head, a sob escaping my lips despite my efforts to remain composed. "You always say that, but you don't show it," I reply, my voice trembling with frustration. With a sniffle, I wipe my eyes before grabbing my bag.

"I'm off to work," I say, my tone heavy with resignation. Without waiting for his response, I slam the door shut behind me, leaving him to ponder my words in the empty silence of our fractured love.

The bus ride to work today is longer than expected. I get off the bus a few blocks away and I walk briskly towards the mansion.

The paisley hedges are nicely trimmed and manicured,a clear contrast between rich folks and us.

I take a deep breath before knock on the oak wood door.

"Elena,it's so good to see you." Lady Evelina exclaims excitedly with a hug. Aside the hug,the is nothing out of the ordinary.

Entering the mansion, the grand foyer impresses with its soaring ceilings and dazzling chandeliers. To the left, a cozy sitting area surrounds a marble fireplace, while to the right, a formal dining room awaits. Exploring further, the state-of-the-art kitchen beckons with stainless steel appliances and fresh flowers. Upstairs, luxurious bedrooms feature sumptuous linens and opulent furnishings, with the master suite boasting a private balcony and breathtaking views. Throughout the mansion, rich fabrics, elegant furnishings, and timeless artwork create an atmosphere of  refinement, making it a true sanctuary of luxury.

"I know it seems as if I'm pushing you into something and I know you're married and juggling this and that will not be easy." She begins and I want to cover my ears.

"It's okay,you already gave me time to think about it so it's nothing." I smile nervously.

Why am I lying to myself?

Of course it's a big deal.

I haven't even given my husband a child and I want to give someone else.
I feel like a cheat.

"You have all the time in the world,and all the money to spend when you say yes." She notes sternly,almost as if she expects me to.