Chapter 8

White lights were never a good sign to Trevan, he was familiar with the pale yellow lights Jennifer had made every room have to "help" with her headache. Everyone knew it was because Jennifer hated how the white lights made the room feel like a gospel. It reminded her of the times her father was praised for being the best priest in church but disregarded when he came home and became a complete asshole to his daughter.

He rose from the cot, unaware of where he was, and when he made eye contact with the first person he saw, his eyebrows wrinkled. "Zeth?" A curly blonde-haired boy stood up in awe and started hollering for his parents. They came rushing, looking fretful, but when they saw their brown-haired son prospering, their fears vanished. They enveloped Trevan in a hug while he sat there awkwardly. "Uh, hi?"

"Oh my god," Jennifer said as she departed from the hug. Her eyes had welled up and she was cupping Trevan's cheeks in her hand as if she never intended on leaving him.

"Mom, can you—" Trevan attempted to push back Jennifer's hands.

"I thought I was going to lose you."

"What?" Trevan stared at his mom in disbelief. He didn't think it was serious, part of him thought this was all a dream. "Wait, what did you say?" The room fell quiet and Trevan gazed at his family members frantically, looking for an answer.

"Your car is totaled and, uh, well, you almost died," Zeth said in a hurry.

"Don't say almost died," Paul turned to Trevan, "you just weren't in the greatest condition."

Trevan was too preoccupied with pondering over what had happened to hear Paul. His thoughts were rambling and his heart was beating rapidly to even consider his father's comment. "You're right, I'm sorry," Zeth apologized, looking down at the ground ashamed. Trevan's blood boiled. He hated that Zeth was always willing to agree with the other person, even if he didn't want to. It was a trait that people could easily take advantage and for, out of all people, his father to do that infuriated him.

"Are you serious right now?! You're gonna agree with him on that, Zeth? If I almost died, I almost died. It's as simple as that. We're not five-year-olds!" Trevan lost control as he started getting up and Zeth looked anxiously at his father for help.

"Okay, take it easy. I just thought—"

"You just thought what? That if you and your son went on a trip together, your other son would be fine?! Well, take a look, Paul, I'm not! I almost killed myself and all you care about is avoiding the topic of death. Is that how it felt too when Aansha killed herself, Mom?" From the corner of his eye, Trevan saw Paul's mouth open. "Was her suicide all an act to you or did you care?"

Jennifer twitched her eyes as she stood still as a statue. "I-I don't know."

"That's what I thought," Trevan huffed.

"That's enough!" Paul intervened attempting to make a statement in a bold voice. But Trevan could see right through the transparent tone.

"And what? Everything will go back to normal?"

"Trevan," Paul started in a daring tone as Trevan looked at him, lifeless.

"Yeah, maybe, you're right. Maybe we should let this go and just return to our normal lives. Pretend like nothing happened after someone kills themselves, right? You know, I bet you guys wouldn't give a shit if I commit suicide too!"

The door flew open and suddenly, the echo from Trevan's statement simmered. A man wearing the familiar attire of a doctor flashed a smile as he entered the room. "So what brings you in, young man?"

Trevan wasn't sure what to say. He looked at his parents for help, but they were busy recuperating themselves while Zeth just stood there shocked by what had occurred. The doctor repeated his question, this time with concern. "I-I don't know. Quite frankly," Trevan finally said and this time his parents leaped into action.