chapter nineteen, consequence

— chapter nineteen, consequence!

THE NEXT TIME ROBBY AND Bowie were alone together wasn't for another few weeks, but in truth, neither of them had much time to think about it. Training was intense, with both Sam and Robby being extra wired up after a run in with Miguel and his new girlfriend, Tory. And Bowie had been busy settling into life in the Alexopoulos's guest bedroom, finally having managed to find himself a part time job in a cafe in Demetri's neighbourhood.

It was mid-afternoon, and Bowie had just wrapped up a shift when their phone chimed with a text that simply read: skatepark?

Despite the lack of context, the curly haired boy changed course immediately. Though the summer had brought distance, Bowie still knew Robby Keene better than anyone else did, and better than he knew anyone else. He knew the twitch of his eyebrow when he was hiding something, or trying to find the right words to say. He knew the way he bloomed when he was excited and comfortable, and the way he closed off and hid himself behind just a few words when something was very very wrong.

When they arrived, Robby was sitting with his feet dangling into the bowl, spinning the wheels on the board in his lap between his fingers.

"Hey, Keene," Bowie smiled smally, sitting beside him. "Haven't seen you here in a while. Thought you'd forgotten how to skateboard."

"Was busy being better than you at other things," he answered with a small grin that faltered quickly.

"What, like pulling off a denim jacket?" Bowie knocked their shoulders together gently. "Talk to me, Keene."

Robby kept looking at his skateboard.

"My mom's back. I honestly have no idea where she's been. It's been well over a month. But she says now she's back that she's going to rehab. Which is great, I'm happy for her. And the LaRussos say I'm fine to stay with them whilst she's doing her program. It just feels like- a lot, I guess?"

"Wow." Bowie bit his lip. "That is a lot. I mean, it's great that she's back and she wants to get better."

"Is it wrong that it feels like too little too late?" Robby glanced up at his best friend, his face trying hard not to reveal too much. "I mean, I'm sixteen. I worked almost my entire sophomore year. I literally had to move out and live in my karate teacher's pool house."

"I think you have every right to feel that way, Rob. I mean, she's your mom, and she wasn't here."

"Yeah." Robby paused for a long moment, looking back down. "I'm sorry, Bowe."

Bowie's eyebrows furrowed.

"What for?"

"I just feel like, this whole summer, I've been so focused on karate, and on Sam, and on me and my shit, and I've hardly had any time for you. It's like there's so much I haven't told you, and I hate feeling like I'm keeping things from you."