xxx. the invisible wall.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

▬▬▬▬▬

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐊𝐘 𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐃 𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐊, they both left the sanctuary of the temple to continue the rest of their trek on foot, as per Thorn's orders.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎A ravine of low brush cuts through a valley in the direction of Pailon. With all the foliage sickened with blight, taking the ravine becomes their best route. Morrow leads the way through the dip in the valley, most of it mud and soil rather than crop. The blight has long since destroyed all life, leaving it barren of new greenery, which means less of a chance of getting the illness.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎She swallows nervously, looking up at the sloped hills of the ravine to the blight induced woodlands above them. Out here, she wishes she was back in the ruined fae temple or Thorn's abode. She misses the life of the drooping willow branches and the songbirds that nested within them, or the honeybees bumbling in dusted corners. There's nothing but a cold evil that roams these lands as they tread deeper into the mouth of the devil incarnate.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Elowen keeps her gaze upon the shadowed wings ahead of her, choosing to step in the same footsteps as Morrow, knowing his stride is safest. His inner wolf caresses her creature, sensing her unease as they progress closer to Pailon.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"You shouldn't have come with me," Morrow's gravelled voice purrs. He's quiet, but with the eerie silence, it sounds like a yell.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"Then why did you take me?"

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎He doesn't look over his shoulder, keeping his pace as he walks ahead of her. "Because the rotten fae that trained you gave me hope that maybe your magic would surface by now."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎Elowen scowls. "It doesn't work like that."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎His jaw clenches, a tight stitched tendon, as his mind turns bitter. "Then how does it work?"

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎She stops in her tracks, crossing her arms across her chest. He pauses when he hears the lack of her footsteps behind her. It's then, he croons his gaze over his shoulder to meet her own.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"You can't just syphon it out of me," Elowen grumbles. "I also thought Thorn might be able to help."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"Now we're following the fuck's advice, which I regret."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"What do you expect me to do? Do I think I want to be here?"

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎The words leave him in lashes as he turns his body around in full, taking a step towards her. "Sparrow, I can't be the reason you get the blight and get yourself killed, but you're here, and I'll do everything I can to protect you."

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"Just say it then. I know you want to." He wants her to go back to Tabrien, to order her just like he did to Ronyn. It's the only thought radiating from his mind.

‎‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎"No," he scowls. "We've already made it this far, and if for some reason you do get control of your magic, I'll need it."