I'm in, i think?

It was midday, Mercedes was on her way over to my apartment. She seemed upset about something, I always knew when she felt off. We'd been friends for almost 8 years. On the phone, she sounded serious. 

I racked my brain about what she might say. 

The band has been stressing her out lately. Her sister Morgan took Mercedes and our other friend Fallon, on board to start a band a bit ago, and it was finally starting to kick off. Album deals, tour planning and stuff. Not even a year into the band, the bassist (who I'd only met a handful of times) quit. It shook all three girls up, but they recruited my friend Talena and gave her 2 weeks to learn bass and be in their music video. I found that incredibly impressive.

But that was all past them, I wonder what it could be this time.

Speak of the devil, Mercedes was now knocking frantically at my door. I hopped up and opened the door to see her sweaty and frustrated. She wasted no time in pacing in and fidgeting nervously.

"Do you want a drink? Something to eat? I'm not going to lie, I need to go grocery shopping but I'm sure there's something-" 

"Morgan's out." Mercedes blurted. "Out?" repeated in confusion. All i got was a nod. "Out like... a few beers with the guys or..." I trailed on, still puzzled. "Out of the band,  Zo'. She fucking left. She's done." Mercedes cut in. 

I couldn't believe it. Morgan was so passionate about their band, Kittie. She was the lead vocalist for crying out loud, what do you mean she left? She left the band with her sister, and her friends in it? The band that was about to record an album? It didn't make sense.

"Why... why would she do that, that's not like her?" I poured my thoughts, while leaning against a cabinet. "Her and Fallon got into a fight. I mean they fight a lot, but this one was nasty. All Talena and I caught was; that if  Morgan couldn't make the music she wanted to, then she was out. Fallon tried to reason, saying it wasn't just her band, that we all had to agree." Mercedes was rambling quickly. 

"Fuck." I sighed. "Maybe she just needs to cool off." I shrugged. The kitchen went eerily quiet. I got the feeling that maybe she wouldn't. Morgan was a very stubborn girl, she was almost like my little sister too. 

"Zoe?" Mercedes called me, and i knew the tone. She was about to ask a favour, a big one. "Mhm?" I hummed in response. "Fallon and Talena and I... well we have this gig coming up and it's pretty important...there's gonna be people there that could help us get off the ground..." She began. I just stared.

 "Well, y'know we kinda need a vocalist. Fallon says she'll take on lead guitar, you don't have to worry about that.."

"Why would I worry about that?" I echoed her sentence. 

Oh, no. No, no, no.

"Zoe, we were kinda hoping...you'd be our vocalist?" her voice sped up tremendously. 

"Absolutely not Merce'" I rejected.

"Zoe please, just for that gig, until we can find someone-"

"No, no no." I shook my head. 

"Zoe, I will cook and clean and-"

"No."

"Please! We need you, you already know us all, c'mon!"

Was I seriously considering doing this? Becoming the lead singer for Kittie? On such short notice? If Talena can do it, so can I. Oh, god, the things I do for these girls.

"Fine." I grumbled

Mercedes burst into excitement. Bouncing up and down, squeezing me tightly. "Let's go tell the girls." She pulled my arm. "Now?" I sighed.