Chapter 1 :Fistfight

Aurelia Linamer

Aurelia Linamer

"THUD" I landed on the ground. Face first.

"Come on Linamer ! Is that all you got?" an annoying voice somewhere behind me asked.

"Shut it, Raymond!" I spat bloodily in response.

We had been fist fighting for about two hours infront of our small hut and despite my efforts, all I had managed was a punch to his ribs, whereas I had been the victim of countless punches and now a taste of the ground.

"I'm done with this," I declared, pushing myself back onto my feet.

"Really? Never knew you to be such a quitter" He teased.

Easy for him to say. He'd spent his entire life training for the royal guard, whereas I was just beginning to learn from him. I had quickly discovered that mastery with a sword counted for nothing if you couldn't throw a few punches and hold your own in a brawl .

"Challenge me in sword fighting, then we'll talk," I retorted, trying to salvage what remained of my pride, and marched off to clean myself up.

Raymond had been my best friend since we were quite young and we both have always had a common goal to be in the royal guard. Joining the royal guard stemmed not only from financial necessity but also from a desire for adventure and power.

Living in a small hut at the village's edge, with no family to speak of, we relied on each other for survival in a city that often preyed on the weak and impoverished. My parents died a few years back whereas Raymond has always been alone.

This city, Semepha is considered as the dream city to the people outside but it was infact a nightmare for the poor and the underprivileged.......

I entered the cleaning room to wash off the dirt from my brunette hair—courtesy of Raymond's last punch— my golden brown eyes stared back at me through the broken glass. I managed to raise my sore arms and clean my self — and when I got out to the courtyard....well you could say things were not good.

well you could say things were not good