BRAND NEW DAY

JANUARY 1991

     The skilled hunter understands his prey. To understand your prey, you must think like your prey. You must become your prey. That is what Sergei Kravinoff thought to himself as he tracked the creature that the New York media had called Vermin. Presently however, he was no longer Sergei Kravinoff. He was Kraven the Hunter, and he was in the sewers of Manhattan, amongst the filth. The vile, disgusting filth. He breathed in the horrible smell of sewage. His sight, hearing and smell had been greatly enhanced due to his version of the Genetic Potential Formula. Kraven did his best to ignore the acrid odor of his surroundings and focus on tracking his target. His prey was a monstrosity. A cross between a human being and a rat. How do you think like such a terrible creature?

The New York city sewer system consists of more than six thousand miles of pipes that carry wastewater and stormwater to over fourteen treatment plants. It is a seemingly endless labyrinth of tunnels deep under the city. The darkness of the underground tunnels were illuminated by a small flashlight attached to Kraven's wrist gauntlet. In some parts of the sewers, Kraven the Hunter was knee deep in water and sewage. Other areas of the elaborate underground tunnel system have solid stone or metal grating for flooring. The arctic January temperature made his mission even more challenging. Despite the spartan conditions, the hunter remained unaffected by his surroundings and pressed on. This was what he lived for. The thrill of the hunt. Kraven was closing in on his prey. Suddenly, he heard a noise. It made him stop dead in his tracks. He waited for several moments, then he smiled. After over an hour of searching, he had finally found the Vermin. The creature was approximately thirty yards away from Kraven and it soon realized that it wasn't alone in the sewers of Manhattan. Just like that, Vermin made a break for it and ran away from Kraven. The chase was on! However, the freezing conditions made it difficult for the rat-like creature to traverse the tunnels. As Vermin rounded a corner into another corridor, he slipped and slid right into the side of the concrete wall. That was the opportunity that Kraven needed and he pounced on the beast with sudden force. He attempted to subdue his prey with a series of punches to the back of the head, but Vermin's wild movements made it difficult for the hunter to land a blow. Kraven soon felt the wrath of his foe, as the beast viciously kicked and clawed at him. The attack harmed the Russian warrior and allowed the creature another opportunity to escape. The chase resumed. Fatigue was beginning to set in as Kraven reached the end of a long tunnel. However, his exhaustion had made him careless and the hunter was ambushed by his opponent. Vermin leapt down from the ceiling and smashed Kraven with a flurry of blows to the head. The assault continued and the creature bit the hunter on the back of the neck. A well placed kick from Kraven separated the two combatants, but blood poured from a gaping wound in his neck.

"Animal," he muttered out loud as he put his hand over the cut to stop the bleeding.

The hunter had now become the prey and Vermin began to stalk Kraven. The proud Russian gladiator was weakened and vulnerable. The creature sensed this and slowly ambled over to finish off his tormentor. Suddenly, they both turned their heads upon hearing a loud roar. They heard it again when another large creature emerged from the darkness. The Lizard! The seven foot tall monstrosity stepped out of the shadows. Kraven's eyes opened wide at the sight of this amazing creature. It had a long tail along with razor sharp teeth. Its face resembled that of an amphibian, but stood on its hind legs and walked like a man. The enormous green monster loudly roared again and bared its needle sharp teeth along with razor sharp claws that protruded from its fingernails. Its long tail swung around wildly as it slowly approached Vermin.

"Kill him," Vermin screeched, pointing at Kraven the Hunter.

Norman Osborn had briefed Kraven about his two targets. They were both vicious, mindless creatures that were not to be taken lightly. The hunter just wasn't expecting to face them at the same time. The Lizard ignored Vermin's direction and lunged at the rat-like beast with reckless abandon. Kraven was grateful for the temporary respite as his adversaries battled one another in the sewers of New York and he used that opportunity to stitch up the gash in his neck.