3. listening

TW!! RAPE MENTIONS AND SEXUAL ASSAULT MENTIONS

-

We ate breakfast and chatted about the most mundane things possible. The food was actually really good. I didn't know that he could cook, but I was glad I found out. He gave me his number just in case I needed to contact him, and I gave him mine.

He left my house and went back home. Leaving me grateful for the food, and him thanking me once again for helping him out. As I walked around my new home, I thought about how I needed a job. I'm in a new environment; I'm enrolled in college, but I need an income.

I looked online for jobs hiring, and I couldn't find one. Scrolling through all of them, they were either too far for my comfort or in an area I deemed unsafe. Since I've been holed up for these past few weeks, growing comfortable in my new place, I needed to get out.

Pete was still working on my car since it had underlying issues I didn't know about. I decided to walk into the city to see if I could find anyone hiring there.

I found this diner; it looked like it was run by some older lady, and I walked in. All that walking made me thirsty; I needed to sit down and drink something. I sat at a booth, waiting for somebody to walk up to me and offer me a menu.

"I don't see many newcomers around here anymore. Good afternoon!" A cheery man said. He seemed very nice and very happy to have a new customer.

"Good Afternoon! I just moved here not too long ago," I started. The man smiled. We ended up having a full conversation before I could even get to the order.

"It's clear you're here for something; I'm sorry I've talked your ears off. What would you like?"

"Can I have some peppermint tea, please?"

"Of course!" He cheered. I read his name tag, Nate. He seemed like a cool person. Maybe a new friend.

He walked off and went to go get my drink, while I sat and waited for him to come back. My phone pinged in the silence of the diner, seeing as I was the only customer there at the moment.

Pete: Cars fixed, can't use it for a while

Me: Okay. I need a new one?

Pete: Yes

Pete: Where r u?

Me: Went to diner to find a job, be home soon

Pete: Do you need me to come get you?

Me: No, I'll walk back home

Pete: It's dangerous around that part during day, call when you need ride

Me: I'll be fine

Pete was insisting on me calling him when I needed a ride, I wondered why he was so worried. The place the diner was in seemed quiet, knowing that my brother taught me some self-defense I felt that I'd be okay. As I put my phone down, it started to ring.

I leaned back in the booth, looking around before picking it back up.

I read the name, Pete called me. I answered with confusion.

"Hello?"

"I'm being serious, call me when you need a ride. I'll come and get you." His voice was serious.

"Aww, sounds like you're worried for me." I teased.

"I don't want you walking alone back to your house."

"Fine, I'll call you. Now let me enjoy my tea in peace." I lied, I wasn't going to call him. What's the worst that will happen? Me tripping and falling? I'll be fine.