Chapter 1 - The Nightmare

Standing at the window, watching the colours spring in early morning light, Anya sighed. It was just another usual Saturday morning for her, which meant weekend chores around the house.

‘Arrggghh’ she groaned.

Throwing on an old dark blue t-shirt with Mickey Mouse print and long comfy khaki pants she made  her way to downstairs. Grabbing the bandana from the side table, she caught a glimpse of herself in mirror.

“You look like a zombie Anya. One of these days, you might just end up being one for real!’ she said to herself and chuckled at her own little joke.

She had been having nightmares for past few days and lack of sleep had given her dark shadows under her eyes. She was a not so skinny and not really fat by size, but if it were not her judging herself, she had figure to make a guy drool. Her almond shaped eyes were deepest ocean blue in colour, snowy fair complexion, cute small sharp nose, soft full plumped nude pink lips and somewhere between light to dark brown hair. Two things she liked about herself most, were her eyes and hair. Combined, it made her look like daughter of the Elf Kings from Lord of the Rings Movie.

‘Oh really Anya, you got to be kidding yourself! Comparing yourself with Arwen?’ she left the room still laughing at her thoughts.

Anya walked down the stairs and as she reached the ground floor, her mum looked out from the kitchen.

‘Anya, whose there, whom are you laughing with?'

‘No one’s here mum, am just laughing at my own joke’

'Really? And what’s the joke sweetheart?’

‘Ummm… nothing that hysterical, just a thought in my head that I looked bit like Arwen… I know crazy huh! It’s all Ruby’s doing actually. She says that all the time and I think the idea is starting to sit in my head!’

‘Arwen?’ Anya’s mum asked her with confused look.

‘The Elf kings daughter in Lord of the Rings movie mum!’

‘Oh, well you know I have never seen that movie, so how would I know. Anyways, did you sleep well last night?’

Anya looked down at her feet, and started crossing over her toes, which she normally did when she was nervous or uncomfortable.

'Umm... yea… I slept ok,’ Anya lied but not meeting her mum’s eye.

‘Anya? I know you are lying. Why don’t you tell me about your nightmares dear? I want to help you… Is it getting any better?’

Now looking down at her feet again, she nods no.

Her mom sighed and dropping the dish in dish drainer, grabbing the hand towel she walked towards Anya.

Seeing Anya still crossing her toes, her mum knew she won’t be able to crack anything out of her with her being uncomfortable.

She stopped in front of Anya and grabbed her shoulders, making her look up.

‘Why don’t we skip the chores for today, we can sit by the pool, bask in sun and just have girl time’ she added a little chuckle and a wink.

That got Anya smiling. She really loved her mum, she was her best friend and there was nothing she ever kept from her. And Anya new, her mum, Anabel Kor, made a lot of effort in keeping her and Anya alive.

Being a single mother, Anabel had to leave her studies when she got pregnant with Anya. After Anya, was born, she juggled between, work, completing studies and raising Anya. Today, she was content and happy that her sacrifice and strength to keep going has paid them well.