Chapter 1: So It Begins

"Come," He demands in a growl; his lips put me in a trance of fear and thrill, locked into that word. "Don't make me repeat myself," He snarls as the moonlight dances in his messy, brown hair. I feel paralyzed as his deep green eyes yell anger into my soul. I shiver, but I am not cold. The forest around us seems to blur to the sound of the rippling water flowing down the river behind me. The strong scent of liquor follows him as he inches closer; my breath trembling. I have nowhere to run. To either side of me are trees so tall, so thick; they are yelling not to attempt racing through. The path behind him, the way I came. The river was too large to pass through. My mind races as fast as the river flows. I have to give in, accept my fate. I've lost yet again. His large, veiny hands grab my wrist, shaking me from my thoughts. He towers over me in disappointment, "Let's go home."

Suddenly, we are in front of the sliding doors leading into our dining room from our back porch; his hand is still gripping my wrist as he opens it slowly. We tiptoe over the broken glass among the wood floors. "I'm sorry," I whisper while he locks the door behind us. He sighs without turning to face me. Shakes his head, "Vanessa," his voice sends a million of emotions through my body, "why did you run?"

"I'm sorry," I repeat myself like a broken record, "I just wanted some fresh air."
"If you wanted fresh air, you could've just stepped out. You ran." His voice began to rise again.
"I know, I just..." I hesitate as he turns to face me, "I just had so much energy." What a dumb excuse, maybe he won't see through it.
"Vanessa." His thick eyebrows furrowed, "You fucking ran. What is it? You don't wanna be here? You don't love me?"

I feel my soul crush within me, my heart drops and the silence becomes deafening. He moves towards me with frustration, glass crackling under his boot. My phone rings; it's my sister. Before I have the chance to answer he rips the phone from my hand. "Hello? Are you okay 'Nessa?" She's on speaker, "Do you need me to call the cops? I can be there in thirty minutes." His stare grows intensely. I can see the wheels turning inside his head. I broke the rule; I told my sister. "Tell her you're okay." He demands quietly. I follow along.

"I'm okay, Rochelle."
"Are you sure? You seemed really upset, do you not want to leave him?" Her concern is drowned out by my realization that I've been caught; that there will be consequences for my actions.
"Yeah, uh, it was just an argument. I overreacted. We're okay, I'm okay." His stare remains, burning me alive.
"'Nessa, maybe you should just leave. We've been talking about this, I'm here for you. I've got a room setup and..." He hangs up, throwing the phone to the floor. The loud bang makes me jump. I can't bring myself to look at him, I just look at my phone. I've made a mistake.
"You want to leave?" He shouts, the words echoing through the empty house.
I keep silent.
"You want to fucking leave me? After all I've done for you? I knew you were a liar! You don't love me! You only love your fucking self."

His screams fill the air and suffocate me. I feel the adrenaline rush through my body and to my mouth but before I can speak I can feel his hands wrap around my neck with such force that I can no longer breathe.

"We could've fixed this, Vanessa. You're not leaving me."
I gasp for air as his eyes darken.
"I love you."
I reach for his arms, hands, anything.
"You're mine, Vanessa you would be nothing without me."
I search around the room moving only my eyes; the blue couches looking less blue somehow.
"How could you hurt me like this? How dare you?" His voice is now fading. "I've been good to you, Vanessa. I love you."
I flail my arms, my body; I'm losing control.
"You told your sister you wanted to fucking leave?"

The room is now blurry; his face fading; his eyes...