•Chapter~30°

And she fell for him like raindrops, softly yet unexpectedly

Author's POV

His rushed footsteps reverberated throughout the orphanage's hall, as he wend his way in the direction of veranda.

But a deep frown planted itself between his brows, exposing his state of bewilderment as his eyes got the picture of an un-occupied yet a poorly lit veranda.

He wetted his lips from the tip of his tongue in turmoil as the fear crept in his heart and a mockery yet blood-curdling shadow unfurled inside his mind.

He was about to reverted back but on the spur of the moment all Children including his own jumped out and grinned brightly that could effortlessly make Sunlight's beams look ashamed.

"Surprise"

On that precise moment, he looked like a frozen mannequin except for his eyes, which moved on the colorful balloons, tied to various pieces of furniture.

"Happy birthday"

His wife chirped, she couldn't tell if he liked or hated the surprise or if he was indifferent. The man was harder to read than a Latin textbook in the dark.

No response, Arjun remained frozen.

His entire body went statue still, even his breaths seemed to ceased.

His lashes battered countlessly for a split second and on a sudden his chest rose and fell with ragged breaths.

"T-thank y-you". An unknown shadow for split second displayed on his face but at a rate of knots it disappeared.

His eyes that were like the boundless abandoned desert, at this moment were soaked with the silence of unspoken words that his heart hide.

Suddenly, a small girl appeared in his line of sight and her eyes shed a soft glow of curiosity as she gingerly but slowly raised her left hand to offer him a handmade, pink greeting card, not sure if the elderly man would like it or not. 

He considerately grasped it and ran his eyes over that endearing card.

The card featured a cartoon of a man that was hand-drawn and displayed with stacks of files all around him. And the man who appeared to be busy as a bee wished to celebrate his birthday but was not certain if he had ample time or not.

His eyes further busied themselves in poring over the card and a few lines were put in writing by a childlike hand writing.

Dear Uncle!

Don't worry about getting older.

You can still celebrate your birthday with us, do stupid yet crazy kind of stuffs with all of us~

So wishing you a heartfelt 32nd birthday!

"I know it's not that good". The small girl murmured and her eyelids drooped in dejection after not getting any kind of reaction from his unreadable yet unvarying face.

With a trace of amusement tinged in his deep voice, Arjun leaned forward slightly in front of the small creature and said.

"What if I told you that it is the most beautiful and priceless gift I have ever received from anyone?"

Like an arrow from a bow, her long lashes upraised and her doe eyes lit up from the sheer exuberance and heart swelled up with immense rapture.

The dark black pools softened a bit and a small smile touched the corners of his mouth. Without thinking twice, he picked up the tiny creature in his arms and could not stop himself from doing so. She flashed him a quick yet warm smile, her eyes dancing with mirth.