CHAPTER 4- A dream

"I love you", Francis mutters, a smooth hand cupping you face. The touch warms not just your skin, but your heart. As you rest your arms on the milkman's shoulders, you lace your hands behind his neck- whispering a reply, "I love you too, Francis, my dear." You lean forward and gently touch your lips to his.

The blaring sound of your alarm clock assaults your ears. As it rings, you come to. Sluggishly, you smash your fist into the button to make it stop. Through blurry vision you read the time- "8 o'clock." Considering your shift starts at 12am for an eight hour shift, you have plenty of time.

Peeling the sheets from your figure, you enter the bathroom, setting the water to a nice temperature and stripping. To check the heat, you stretch out your arm and let the droplets crash into your skin. You decide that it feels okay and step in, allowing the flow to dampen your hair and soak into body.

The repetitive nature of the task causes your mind to wander, thinking of the dream. Why was it of Francis? Why were you kissing? What does any of this mean? You aren't gay... are you? Starting to worry for your own safety along with Francis', you found it a better solution to dismiss the idea and finish showering.

Pulling a pair of navy slacks, a white dress shirt, a black tie and a matching blue blazer from the chair you'd laid your outfit out on in advance the night prior, you dress yourself in them. You tuck in the shirt, trying to look presentable. Perhaps the doppelgängers will attack less viciously if you look nice.

Finishing up, you stroll downstairs and make yourself a nutritious breakfast of cornflakes. As you swallow spoonfuls of cereal, you rethink what you said to Francis last night.

"How come you can cook? No Mrs to do it for you?"

You have no wife either, but the difference between you and Francis is that he learned to make food by himself, you haven't. The meal he cooked for you was so superior to anything you've eaten in a good while... you feel like you might be coming around to his apartment more often.

You get into your car and head to work.