Chapter One

Never would she think she would have came to Kildare Island. It was basically off limits in her world. This place broke her mother's heart and she had mended it over the years, Julia didn't want to disturb that peace. It had surprised her when her mom finally confided in her that she had been speaking to her sister, Rose Wasson Cameron. They hadn't spoken in years, not since their mother kicked Violet out upon learning that she was pregnant and planning on marrying her high-school dropout boyfriend. Julia wasn't sure what sparked the reunion but here they were.... driving their beat up 2011 Toyota Camry onto Figure Eight. Kook Central. Apparently, things had gone so well over the past year of the two reuniting that Rose invited them to come spend the summer at Tannyhill, their mansion. Julia had not met her aunt but her mom had met with her a handful of times. All positive from the recap she got. Her mom, Violet, had rarely spoke of Rose but now... it was all she heard about. Her aunt Rose seemed, interesting to say the least. Four years younger than her mother, a successful real estate agent with a sugar daddy; or should she say her now, Uncle Ward. You can take the girl out of The Cut, but not The Cut out of the girl.

Violet had become successful as well, ended up going to cosmetology school and becoming a hair dresser, had a loyal clientele. Things were tough when Julia was younger when they were starting off on their own together. Money was tight, mac and cheese and hot dogs was the special... every night but that was okay. They ended up okay. When her mom was talking to her about Rose, her mom seemed happy, but Julia could sense a feeling of almost jealousy. She didn't know what she had to be jealous of; her aunt Rose inherited the kook fever, three step kids and a man with baggage from a bitch of an ex wife who probably wanted half his worth in alimony. What was there to envy?

After driving two hours to the ferry, they took off towards Figure Eight and on the way, she caught a glimpse of The Cut. Some houses were completely dilapidated, most likely from Hurricane Agatha that had delayed their trip here, a week. Some homes had a-lot of wear and tear. It showed a struggling blue collar community that relied on tourism. The rich. It was all run down, gave her the worn out and very well loved feel. Generations lived here. This is where her mother was from. Where her father was from, a small chill crawled up her spine. Her lightly tanned hand hung out the window as her eyes were fixed on each passing by home... or should she even call it a home? They looked like mega million compounds like the Kennedys have. It was insane, a total kook paradise.

Cape Fear had a more suburban charm to it. Small houses, some apartment buildings and rare two families. Local brick and mortar businesses that had been passed on generation to generation. It had more sense of community. Here, you could slice a knife easily between upper and lower class. The lawns were manicured with the sweat of those they thought below them, driveways with new and fresh cement. Flowers bursting with life and color and architecture that screamed 'We're old white men with money to burn'. Taking the turn, she could see Tannyhill in all its glory. It was massive and beautiful. She had done some research into Tannyhill. It was an old plantation, lots of land and obvious history. Julia wondered if they had this home in their family and it was inherited... or if it was bought because of its size and kook status here in Kildare. Pulling into the driveway slowly, Julia could see a bottle blonde woman with a man who was clearly older than her and a brunette tween. Rose was wearing a cornflower blue sun dress with no doubt designer sunglasses pushing her hair back. Her 'Uncle' Ward was casual in khaki shorts and a grey polo. The little brunette had tortoise shell rectangle glasses with her hair pulled back in a pony tail. She wore jean shorts and a lavender tee shirt and converse. They looked casual. Julia's eyes darted to her mother in anger.

"I feel so beyond over dressed. Fuck, mom. I didn't think they would look like normal people." She huffed out as she smoothed out her olive green maxi dress and kicked the floor board with her wanna-be Valentino looking wedges. Julia didn't know what she expected, she guessed she expected Invasion of the Body Snatchers, type people. Pretentious type looking people, at least. So far, in Julia's eyes, Rose fit that category. Violet rolled her eyes as she then put the shift into park. Turning her body towards her daughter, she grabbed her daughters shoulder to focus her on her face.