A Heart To Heart

“Haruno-san,” Fugaku walked over sitting beside Kizashi who was on the floor playing with Sarada. His arms were crossed but he could see how stiff and uncomfortable he felt.

“Uchiha-san.” Kizashi acknowledged it wasn’t like him to willingly come over and start a conversation.

Sarada was crawling over him from his lap to climbing onto his shoulders. She seemed to find his hair interesting and tried to reach out for it. With the help of Kizashi balancing her on his shoulder making sure the little one was safe Sarada kept tugging at the strange locks intrigued with them.

“I… I would like your help with something…”

“Oh, well why didn’t you say so. What can I do for you?”

Having already being used to Sasuke’s behaviour of reaching out to ask for help or to bond because Sakura asked him to. He couldn’t imagine how difficult it was for Fugaku to come over and ask for his advice.

“You… you have a daughter.”

“I do.” Kizashi nodded still being careful with Sarada. Fugaku took a deep breath before asking the next question.

“How… how do you do it?”

“Do what?” 

“Be a good father.” At the puzzled look on the man’s face, Fugaku continued. As he went on Kizashi could see the tension slowly leaving his shoulders, like he had been carrying this for so long and needed someone to vent to, to listen. 

“You see, with Sasuke and Itachi I was always… harsh on them. Itachi was the oldest, and his responsibility was to be the next head of the clan. I had to focus on him if I wanted him to succeed.”

“Uh-huh.” Kizashi nodded showing he was listening. 

“But I can acknowledge that I’ve made some mistakes. I’ve neglected Sasuke a lot, I thought I was doing the right thing by putting Itachi and our clan’s interest first and yet instead it only put a strain on our relationship. When Sasuke was young, he always wanted my attention, he would even go as far as to break things or do something he knew he wasn’t supposed to do.”

“Hmm, parenting is hard.” Kizashi agreed to allow Fugaku to continue.

“And yet I only belittled him, I told him to stop acting childish when he was only a child. At his age, Itachi acted more mature but only because he had more responsibility and knew the consequences if he failed. I've been stricter with him than Sasuke.”

“My father was the same as me. I thought I was doing the right thing by following his footsteps but that’s no excuse. I can see how different my son treats Sarada and I’m proud of him.” Fugaku let out a rare smile. Kizashi couldn't think of a time he did see the man smile.

“I would like to change too, to be a better grandfather for Sarada.”

“I see, and that’s why you came to me?” 

“You know what you're doing, Sarada adores you a lot. She’s comfortable around you whereas she’s wary of me.”

“Actually, right now I’m trying to make sure she doesn’t fall off.” Kizashi picked her off his shoulders placing her on the floor. She turned her head around from one place to the other wondering what to do next before deciding to crawl away.

“You know Uchiha-san-” Kizashi grabbed Sarada’s leg without breaking eye contact with Fugaku. It amazed him how he seemed to know her next move despite not looking at what she was doing. 

“Please call me Fugaku,” at that Kizashi couldn’t help but grin and burst out laughing.

“Ah ha, sure and you may call me Kizashi. Now, what was I saying? Oh right, Fugaku. As flattered as I am all parents make mistakes when it comes to their children. I may not be a shinobi let alone come from a clan, but I am a man. I understand the pressure in what’s it like and how we are told to be ‘men’ that for us showing any emotion is shameful.” He then picked up Sarada placing her on his lap. She made a little fuss wanting to be put down.

“But when my daughter was born… everything just flew out the window. For her, it didn’t feel like I had to be strong or tough to make her happy. Just pulling a silly face and she would be giggling for weeks, can you imagine asking a clan leader to do that?” No, he couldn’t, even the thought seemed so random.

“But I’ve made a fair share of mistakes myself, do you have any idea how difficult having a teenage daughter is? You become a different person, they were your baby girl and now they’re growing up far too quickly. You can't protect them from everything, you have to let them hurt, go through heartache. It’s difficult but all you can do is be there for them.” He then gave him a grin.

“Just like how when you finally accepted Sasuke and Sakura’s relationship. Sasuke is the first to marry someone who isn’t part of a clan yes?” At this Fugaku slowly nodded.

“Well, there you go then, you’re already changing. You were so against the relationship at first but instead, you put your son’s happiness as a priority just like any good parent would. To Sasuke that meant everything.”

“But…” Fugaku still seemed unsure. “How do I change completely? I don’t want Sarada to go through what my sons have.”

“You are too hard on yourself, Sarada is already a perfect example of change. I mean she’s mine and your granddaughter. Bet you never imagined that huh.” He laughed clapping Fugaku on the back. Sarada who was in his other arm saw that and copied Kizashi. Giving Fugaku a light whack on the arm before bursting into a fit of giggles.

“And look at this cutie.” Kizashi raised her to him.

“Does she look like someone afraid of her grandpa?” She giggled again reaching out to Fugaku, cautiously he took her in his arms, and she babbled away happily.

“You don’t have to be me, or anyone. Just love her unconditionally and be there for her.”

“Ah, I suppose you’re right. There’s still a lot of work needing to be done within our clan, but I’ll stick by my family.” He cooed at Sarada.

“That’s the spirit and you aren’t the only one. I heard from Sakura that Hiashi is making more of an effort to Boruto too.”

“Either way, I know for a fact Sasuke appreciates what you do and can see the change.”

“You care a lot for him don’t you?” He knew whenever Sasuke got upset and left, he was welcomed over at the Haruno's having already been in a relationship with Sakura at the time. It amazed him how gladly they accepted and welcomed him into the family. 

“Why of course, I know my daughter. He was going to be my son-in-law one way or another”

“I’m home,” Sasuke called as he entered the house.

“Ap, ap, Pa…” Sarada clapped trying to reach over to him. Fugaku smile passing Sarada over. 

“I’m home Sarada,” Sasuke nuzzled her affectionately and she leaned her head onto his shoulder with her thumb in her mouth happily settled.

“Did your grandfathers behave?”

“Oi, what’s tat supposed to mean?” Kizashi asked acting offended.