I. Gods Damned Bean Pole

You first met Itoshi Rin in your first year of high school. You sat right behind him, and much as you were thankful of his tall frame for covering you when you were feeling peckish in lessons, he was the same damned bean pole that blocked your view of the chalkboard.

For the first few weeks he was like a fantasy. He was handsome, that was one thing every girl in school would agree on, no matter whether they confessed or not.

His dark hair made him all the more of a mystery, throwing dramatic shade over his sharp cheekbones. The only thing you knew about him was his name, and the fact he plays in the school's soccer team (in which position you weren't all that crazy about soccer to find out about)

After endless suffering from the blind spot on past weeks' lessons, you decided to confront Itoshi about it.

Standing beside his desk in recess, while he simply stared elsewhere as if you weren't there, you opened your mouth to speak.

"Hey, can you-"

"I don't accept confessions." He cut in coldly, his icy voice a vice oppressing your mustered up courage.

You stared at him speechless, flushing at his accusation. By now you realized you might have made a fool of yourself, gaping at him open mouthed. What made it worse was that he had turned to face you, his unreadable real eyes judging you very obviously in disdain.

Gawking at Itoshi Rin's unusually long and attractive lower lashes, you could not help but feel intimidated by this vampire-prince looking boy.

"Do I have some soy sauce on my face or something? Why are you staring? I just told you I don't accept confessions."

"That's not- I wasn't planning on confessing."

"What are you bothering me for then?"

Just at that moment any lingering admiration for his ethereal appearance was replaced by short-fused annoyance at his insufferable attitude.

"You're always blocking my view of the chalkboard, you gods damned bean pole. I can't even see shi-"

"So? (Skill issue) What am I supposed to do about that?"

"How about we swap seats?" You blurt out in a single breath before he gets the chance to interrupt.

"Okay."

"Okay?" Just like that? You get that the back seats were the most desirable in the classroom, but you totally didn't expect him to agree this easily.

"Yeah." He stood up, beckoning you to his seat with exaggerated gusto, picking up his books and schoolbag.

As you sat in your newly acquired seat, you turned to look out the window only to find that most of the view outside was obscured by a column of the school building.

RIP, you thought bitterly, as you glanced behind you to see Itoshi enjoying the riverside view you had unknowingly given up. This should be considered a scam.

Grumbling internally at this development, you looked at the board, finding it easier to see than before. Some sacrifices had to be made, you knew.

Stealing another glance at Itoshi again, you realized, in dismay, that with his tall bean-pole frame he would be able to easily look over your shoulder and see what you're writing and doing on the desk. That means no more doodling or snacking in class, you cried silently.

"Hey. This is temporary, okay? I'm only using your seat when I need to write notes."

His reply was instant and curt. "No way. I'm keeping this seat (Skill issue 2). Thanks, nerd."