Chapter 1 : 1880

Atsumu always knew that herding sheep would never be his thing, he thinks as he sees a herd of sheep being guided towards somewhere in the distance.

The sky had already turned dark and lightning flashed across the sky, signalling rain.

And yet the two cowboys herding them, one at the side of the herd and one at the very back, showed no sign of stopping.

They smoked their cigarettes and paid the lightning no mind. The two of them eyed Atsumu with an unreadable expression.

Atsumu tipped his hat at them as he passed.

---

"I'm home!" Atsumu yelled out as he opened the door. He huffs out of exhaustion as he carries the deer he killed towards the butcher room.

"What'd ya get this time?" Osamu yells from wherever he is.

"Deer!" Atsumu replies, setting down the skinned deer onto the table.

Osamu groans as he enters the butcher room. "Again? Why can't ya hunt fer something else like a boar or fish?" He frowns.

Atsumu shrugs. "I'm a bad fisher and deer are the only animals I see out in the wild. Now shut up and cook the damn thing. I'm starving." He leaves the room with an annoyed expression and slams the door on his way out.

He makes his way upstairs and walks towards a room. When he opens the door, he smiles. "Hi ma," He takes off his hat and places it down on the nightstand beside the bed. He goes to sit down on the chair next to it.

His mother looks at him and gives him a warm smile back. "Hey. Day went alright?" She closes her book to give Atsumu her undivided attention.

"Yeah, deer's fer dinner again. Saw a couple of fellers on the way home, they was herding sheep and all that. They was looking at me all nasty but I just tipped my hat at them and left."

His mother laughs, "Pay them no mind, 'Tsumu. They was probably looking at the deer ya got and thinkin' about how they should rob it off of ya."

Atsumu chuckles. "If they tried, I would've hogtied the both of them and stolen their sheep ta sell them myself."

His mother shakes her head as she ruffles Atsumu's hair. "That's my boy. We do not hurt people that do not hurt us. But when they do, oh, they don't know what's coming!"

Atsumu takes her hand from his hair and kisses it. "That much is true, ma."

---

Atsumu sits on the edge of the bed and pulls out his journal from his satchel where he keeps it. The singular candlelight he lit in his room is barely bright enough to see the pages.

He writes down a new entry.

Just another ordinary day

Woke up this morning and ate breakfast with Samu and ma. We joked around for a little bit before I left for work. Boss was being a bitch again, telling me to hand out mail that was 8 hours on horse. I'm tired of always getting the long jobs but at least it gives me time to think.

On the way back, I saw these deers and shot one of them down for dinner. Then, I saw these men herding sheep. One of them looked fiercer and tired as hell while the other looked more chipper. The two of them still looked at me real nasty though, especially the fierce oneI wanted nothing more than to beat some manners into them but I knew ma would kill me if I did so I just left.

Other than that, nothing special happened.

It was just another ordinary day.

---