CHAPTER 1- Francis Mosses' Jacket

Locking the front door, you slide the key into your pocket, glad to have released cold brass that caused your hands to ache tenderly.

Beginning your walk to work, it doesn't take long for you to realise how harshly the winter air infiltrates your thin blazer and lashes against your skin. Thinking back, you really only bought the jacket for the pockets your pencil skirts lacked. Flakes descend, covering your clothes and hair while you trod through the already fallen snow. It's difficult enough to walk in high-heels in good weather, let alone inches of snowfall. The substance piled onto parked cars, signs and anything else it could seek out to fall upon.

After fifteen minutes of walking, you were around a quarter of the way there. You were afraid of driving in these conditions, and opted to take the long walk instead. However, now you regret it. Shivering uncontrollably, you desperately seek out a heated store to take refuge in. Nothing. Just rows and rows of houses.

As you were about to give up and walk back home, a hand taps your shoulder. You turn around, seeing the street's milkman. His dark eyes seem to have sympathy for your situation. While the wind blows, he grasps his hat with the same pale hand he held onto you with. Brow furrowed and lips contorted to a commiserative frown, he speaks, "Miss, you look cold. I know those blazers are only thin things, would you rather have my coat?"

You think on the question, it was the only warm item he was wearing. Did you really want to take it from him? You decide since he offered and you couldn't bare to go on like this, you'd accept his gift.

"Thank you so much... I've truly been freezing to death out here. When do you finish your milk delivery? Perhaps I could try and give it back to you then." you smile appreciatively at the man.

"Oh, there's no need. You keep can it." the milkman replies. He swoops a strand of hair back into its position that it was blown out of by the breeze.

"No, I insist on returning it. Maybe I could bring it to your door?" you press.

"Alright, alright. I live in the apartment complex down that road there." he points the the vague direction of your workplace. "Room fo3-02"

That just about confirmed it, the man lived in the apartment you were just about to start as security for. You check your watch. 11:45!?

"Oh dear, I must really get going, I'll be late to work! Thank you!" you mutter as you rush towards the building.