~1~

The dark will never be without its light.

Silver streaks danced across the sky as a small woman leaned on the edge of the balcony that overhung the sand below. The wind blew a tangled mess of midnight-decorated hair, while eyes of gold rimmed in a crown of silver overlooked the rushing tides.

The night was calm besides the rustle of the sea, and the whispers of the wind as they hit trees and brushed against the girl's skin. Her fair complexion stood to contrast the dark shading of the night as she sat still on the balcony. Not even her fingers twitched as the bitter cold nipped at them. The cold never seemed to bother her, nor the heat. Her eyes stared ahead of her, the world seemed so peaceful from her place on that ledge. Even as the inhuman points of her ears stuck out from her dark hair, and the moonlight made her eyes glimmer and shine in a way that seemed unnatural, she didn't attempt to conceal it.

"Dear, you really shouldn't sit out here like this, you'll catch a cold." A soft woman's voice turned the girl's attention away from the soothing sounds of the water, "Sel, sweetheart..."

"I'll be fine, Mom..." In truth, Selenetta would indeed be fine. It was rare that she fell ill, and sitting outside certainly would not cause her to fall ill.

As her mother sighed and stepped closer to the edge of the railing, she looked out over the water. But unlike the child that sat still as stone, she could not see the fascination with the stars nor the sea. It is a sight that is always there and always the same, and yet Sel sits here for hours gazing no matter the weather.

Sel has never been an open child. Her lips have always been tight, and her words are void of most emotion. The mother that stands next to her, and the father that is inside the home are not the parents that gave her life.. Though the faces of her birth parents are vague, she will forever yearn for them. She was old enough to have memories, to have had a childhood before she ended up here. That much she knows.

"Come inside, it's getting late and dinner is ready. I made steamed buns with the meat inside just how you like it." Her mother's voice is soft and gentle. She's always been careful with her words and actions, never trying to take the place of the girl's true parents. She was surprised when she started calling her mom.

Slowly, Sel turned, careful not to snag the light fabric of her dress on the railing. She dropped to the floor, then grabbed a purple ribbon from the pocket of her skirt and wound it around her mess of loose curls, pulling them away from her face. She walked away from the balcony and into her room. Even though she's seen it a hundred times, her eyes always sweep the room as if expecting to see something different or to find that this is a dream. Her lips parted in a delicate sigh as she carried herself with gentle footing across the wooden flooring.

They are not poor, but by no means do they have any change to spare. This home has two rooms, a single bath, a kitchen, and a living area. It's small—but cozy. There is not enough money to afford the luxury of magical appliances. Nor to afford more than what is needed. She's owned this dress since she was thirteen. Thankfully, the only way she's grown since then is perhaps in a slight bit of curves. Selene steps out of her room to stare at the wooden door of her parents' room. After a moment, she turns to the left and comes into the small area where the kitchen and living room meet. With graceful motion, she slips into her chair at the table. It could be set for a party of four, but there have only ever been three of them.

"Did you get the shoes polished like I'd asked?" A male's deep voice came from the left of the table.

Selene's eyes drifted towards her father's as she nodded. No verbal response, but an acknowledgment. When it was noticed that she'd given some form of acknowledgment, her eyes went back to her plate. She only ever ate what was set in front of her. Her mother would drop things in hopes she'd eat more, but this child never did. From the day she'd woken up with nothing but her first name, she'd eaten very little. There's an ache in her chest, a terrible and painful ache. The things she's missing, the people and the life she must have had... she wonders if it's the source of her strange ache.