Chapter One: Chassidy

I walk into me and my twin's shared apartment and lay her homework down on her bed, where she's scrolling on her phone. "Roxy? Roxy, I need you to drive me to work." We both have jobs, but I have two, one of which is the animal shelter.   

"Kay, let's go," she replies. Her phone starts ringing. She answers, and the call takes on a serious tone. She hangs up, and I can tell that she's about to propose a momentous question. "That was Mom. Well, someone speaking on behalf of her. She wants us to come to her workplace."

 Our mom is a flight attendant, and she doesn't get any time to be with her family. She's basically abandoned us. "She said she has some important news that she needs to tell us, but I don't know if we can trust her."

   "But she's our mom! I know that she's been busy, and I understand that it's not like she's going to welcome us into open arms and say how much she missed us, but wouldn't you want the chance to see her, make sure she's doing good? I know that it might hurt us, but I want to take the risk."

 In the end, Roxy agreed that we would go for a week, to test the waters, then we might stay longer. We packed our bags, and I was about to arrange plane tickets when Roxy told me that Mom already paid for our tickets. I started to wonder if she was going to be on our flight, even though I knew not to keep my hopes up when it came to her.