Chapter 11: Part 1 Finale

Chapter 11: Finale

The aura of the room changed. I could feel the air growing thinner as the footsteps grew closer.

I could feel my heart beating faster, heavier. I bit my lip, hoping that it would calm me down.

"Hey, Coby." Rachel said to me: she gazed at me with her emerald green eyes, emotionless. Why was she here by herself, where was the nurse?

"Hey, Rachel." I gave a quick and short reply. I stared at her right back. You could cut the tension with a knife.

"I heard about what happened to you and came as soon as possible... I wanted to let you know that I don't hold any grudges from the past." She spoke in a weak, apologetic tone.

This must be about the last time I spoke to her at the bike shed.

"I'm really sorry about what happened to you and-"

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Let's get started, Rachel. No need to beat around the bush." I cut her off.

She's seriously playing dumb right now.

"I already know what you are, Rachel."

After everything that I've been through, I just can't handle this right now.

"Haha..."

She started laughing. My fingers started twitching. I'm laying here, immobile, with the only person on the planet who wants me dead.

"Wow, you're interesting, Coby! Truly, I mean this from the bottom of my heart. You've far surpassed my expectations."

...

Her true colours are showing. This was a side to Rachel I'd only seen in glimpses, right before my death.

"Why do you want to kill me?" I already had an idea of why, because I bullied her. I made her life miserable. But something was off. Even if that was her reasoning, I would understand it despite how twisted it is, but there's something more...

"Oh, Coby... How could you ever understand?" She talks like a weirdo. "I'll be honest with you since you've come this far."

She got closer; she walked right up to me and leaned on the bed. We were face-to-face.

"At first, I just wanted to deal with you as quickly and efficiently as possible." She must be talking about her plan to stab me like in my first two cycles, "but you've proven to be much harder to kill than expected."

She had a crushing aura; it felt like just her presence was amplifying the gravity around me.

"You foiled my every attempt, each and every one of my attempts. It was awe-inspiring to watch, actually. It was as if you already knew what was coming."

What.

Calm down, Coby; just play it off; that's not a normal conclusion to come to. Was I that obvious? It's not like you can blame me, I was just doing what I could to not die.

"But anyway, you infuriate me time and time again. Ever since we were little, you were a thorn in my side, one I had to get rid of if I wanted to live my ideal life. One I had to prick before you became too troublesome."

My eyes dropped. This really is all my fault, isn't it?

It's not easy for me, either! I'm human too! How much should I be punished for my actions when I was barely twelve?

I get it; I'm a horrible person. I know that already.

Maybe I really do deserve this after what I did to her.

"Even right now, I'm tempted to squeeze the life out of you and quickly get it over with."

Wait, right now? In the hospital? Oh no, I let my guard down. I should've known already that this was exactly the type of thing she would do—kill me in plain sight, just like the first time!

"I won't, though. You probably already have some countermeasures prepared, just like all the other times."

Phew.

"So instead, I'll kill you from a different perspective." She turned around and began to walk away.

"Be warned, Coby. This is only the beginning." In the end, I could only listen while she spoke.

I wonder what she meant by killing me "from a different perspective." I managed to survive her for today, but I'm not looking forward to whatever else she has planned.

Maybe I should flee to Canada. She won't find me there, will she? One thing is for sure, though. I need to be ready for when I go back to school because she'll be there waiting for me.

And that's not all; I still need to figure out how this whole time travel thing works. If I were to die now, would I go back to here or go back to the start of yesterday? What if I don't come back at all?

And if Rachel can travel through time as well...

"Oh, Coby! Welcome back! Congrats on your recovery." My form tutor greeted me.

It's been 3 weeks since I last went to school. Things have changed since I was last here. For starters, we're reading this weird book in form.

"Coal-black clouds filled the sky. The sword, pointed straight at my neck, inched closer. A knight of some sort, clad in brilliant silver armour, he must've lived through many battles. This must seem like any other evening to him."

Whatever. Now that I'm back, there's only one thing I need to worry about.

...

"Hey, Emile, have you heard? Coby's back."

"Really? I'll go congratulate him."

...

"Hey, Rachel, have you heard? Apparently Coby's recovered, and he's back."

"Oh, he has? Good for him! Maybe I should go and congratulate him..."

...

What're you preparing for me, Rachel?