Frustration of Silence

Five months had slipped by since that fateful encounter, yet not a single word had passed between Sophia and Amir. Despite their frequent eye contact and the undeniable tension that crackled between them, the silence between them remained unbroken.

As Sophia sat at her desk, her mind wandered back to the countless times she had rehearsed what she would say to him, only to find herself tongue-tied whenever he was near. 

Why couldn't he just initiate a conversation? Even a simple "hello" would suffice.

Every day, Sophia found herself wrestling with the same internal struggle: should she be the one to break the ice? Should she risk rejection and reach out to him? But each time she caught sight of Amir her courage evaporated, drowned out by the pounding of her heart and the knot in her stomach.

Was this love, she wondered, or merely the frustration of silence?

One day She was in a casual conversation with her colleague, Anna. 

The air was filled with girlish chatter about boys, crushes, and relationships, topics that Sophia typically kept to herself. 

But today was different. Today, Sophia felt an overwhelming urge to confide in someone, to seek reassurance and clarity about the enigmatic man who had captured her attention for so long. 

With a deep breath, she mustered the courage to broach the subject with Anna.

"Anna, are you interested in the tall guy you've been chatting with in the cafeteria lately?" Sophia asked, her tone playful yet curious.

Anna: Who? Amir?  

Sophia, hesitated for a moment, feeling a flush of embarrassment creeping into her cheeks. 

"I... I don't know his name". 

"He's extremely tall, with curly hair and blue eyes. 

I noticed him because I saw you with him," she added, attempting to deflect the attention away from herself.

Anna's eyes widened in recognition. "Oh, yes he is Amir," she replied casually. "He's from Italy, and he's just a friend. Plus, he has a girlfriend."

Sophia's heart sank like a stone, her stomach twisting with a mixture of disappointment and disbelief. "What?" she exclaimed, her voice tinged with incredulity.

The revelation hit her like a sudden downpour on a sunny day, washing away any lingering hopes or fantasies she had harboured about Amir. Suddenly, the uncertainty and unease she had felt around him made sense, replaced by a sense of resignation and acceptance.

With a forced smile, she forced herself to maintain a casual demeanour, eager to end the conversation and escape the uncomfortable truth that had been revealed. She nodded along absentmindedly as Anna continued to chatter, her mind racing with a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions.

Now it all made sense. The reason why Amir had never initiated a conversation with her, was why he had remained distant and aloof despite their frequent eye contact. He must have thought I was some kind of creep, giving him signals or staring at him all the time. Sophia couldn't help but feel a pang of embarrassment at the realization, wondering if she had made a fool of herself with her silent longing.

Was it all just her imagination? Had she been reading too much into their brief interactions, projecting her desires onto a man who didn't even talk to her? Sophia's brain felt like a tangled mess of a thousand different thoughts and worries, each one vying for her attention and threatening to overwhelm her fragile sense of composure.

But amidst the chaos, a sense of determination began to take hold. Sophia knew that she couldn't continue to dwell on Amir or allow him to occupy so much space in her mind and heart. She needed to put an end to this madness, regain control of her thoughts and focus on more important things.

With a firm resolve, Sophia made a silent vow to herself. She would ignore Amir, avoid seeking out his presence in the office, and do whatever it takes to move on from this futile infatuation.