Chapter 29 : Safe

Chapter 29

Later...    

Rocky POV

Everyone left to go see a movie. But I didn't feel like going because I was too upset about Riker. I just know something's wrong. And dad won't do anything.

It was starting to get dark out now, and I was losing hope that I would ever speak to Riker again.

And then my phone rang. It was a number I didn't recognize, so I didn't answer. But then that number just kept calling me over and over again. So I answered it.

"Hello?"

"Rocky!?"

"Who is this?"

"It's Riker."

I could hear him crying.

"Riker, what happened!? I've been texting you."

"Can you please call the police!? It took me an hour to crawl up the stairs and everything hurts really bad. I need you to get here before my parents get back."

"Ok. Hold on. Let me get a pencil and a piece of paper."

I opened one of my notebooks from school. Riker told me his address and I wrote it down.

"Riker, what phone are you calling me from? This isn't your cell phone number."

"House phone."

"Oh. Ok. I'm going to call my dad, ok? Just try to stay calm. Do you know when your parents are getting back?"

"No."

"Ok, do you think maybe you could try to hide somewhere?"

"I can try... But it really really hurts to move, Rocky."

"Ok. We're coming for you, Riker, ok? You'll be ok."

I hung up and called dad. But he didn't answer, probably because he's watching the stupid movie. So I just kept calling and calling over and over again until he picked up.

"Rocky, I'm trying to watch the movie! I had to leave the theater because you keep calling me!" Dad said, sounding mad.

"You need to come back and call the police!"

"Rocky, I can't just call the police because you think something happened to Riker. We went over this already."

"Dad, Riker called me. He's hurt. Really bad. You need to call the police and we need to go there."

"He called you?"

"Yes! On the phone! He talked to me."

"I thought he didn't talk."

"Dad, just call the police!"

"Ok. Let me just let your mother know what's going on and then I'll come home."

"Hurry."

Later...

Riker POV

My parents still hadn't come back from wherever they were. I managed to crawl over to the couch, grab my blanket, and then crawl behind the couch. I pulled my blanket over top of myself, hiding.

I still had the phone. Rocky hasn't called me back. But I have it in case he does.

It felt like an eternity, but then I started hearing sirens in the distance. And then it sounded like my front door was broken down, which made me jump. 

I heard lots of yelling and tons of voices and sirens. It was so loud.

I covered my ears with my hands and shut my eyes tight.

"Stop! He's not going to come out if you're all shouting for him!"

I took my hands off my ears, recognizing Rocky's voice. He came for me!

Everything quieted down. Even the sirens went off.

"Rocky, I don't know if he's here," Mark said.

"Stop. He is. Riker, can you hear me?"

"Rocky," I called, starting to cry again.

"Stop. Stay back. You're going to scare him," Rocky said.

I heard him walking closer. And then I saw him looking behind the couch. He pushed the couch away from the wall and got down on the ground beside me. 

I wrapped my arms around him super tight, crying really hard. 

"It's ok, Riker. I'm here now. You're not going to get hurt anymore."

Mark came over and wrapped his arms around me too. 

"See? I was right," Rocky said.

"I don't know how you knew," Mark said.

"Because I know Riker really well. That's how."

Later...

Riker POV

After a while, Rocky finally got me to calm down. Mark told the police I wasn't going to talk to give a statement, but that I could write everything down later and Mark would send it to them. I guess they found my parents and arrested them again. 

So the police left, leaving just me, Rocky, and Mark.

"Dad, can I have some time with Riker? I'll help him and get him ready to go. Can you pack up his suitcase?" Rocky asked.

Mark nodded and went upstairs. I'd been clinging to Rocky this whole time. 

"Ok, first of all, I'm really proud of you for calling me and remembering my phone number. And I'm proud of you for talking, Riker."

"I had to," I whispered.

"I know. You don't have to tell me what happened, but why are your clothes soaking wet?"

"He threw me in the pool and then the shower and burned me."

"God, Riker..."

I laid my head on his shoulder, still holding onto him tight.

"Are you hurt?"

"A lot."

"Can I take you upstairs so you can get changed into some dry clothes?"

I nodded.

"Ok."

He put my blanket on the couch and then picked me up in his arms and took me upstairs. Mark had my suitcase packed up. 

"Dad, can you give us 2 changes of clothes?" Rocky asked.

"Sure."

He handed Rocky 2 changes of clothes and then Rocky took me to the bathroom. I realized I'd gotten his clothes pretty wet too. But he wasn't mad at me for it.

He got changed into my clothes and then helped me get changed. 

Rocky carried me back downstairs where Mark was waiting for us at the front door. Rocky grabbed my blanket from the living room and then carried me out to the car. He set me down in the backseat and then got in next to me. 

I laid down with my head in his lap. He rested his hand gently on my side. 

My whole body ached so bad, but I finally felt like I could relax. I knew I was safe now.