Chapter 13 - Eirik

We all waited out in the lobby for some time. Mom was getting antsy and decided to burn off some stress by going down to get some dinner. I followed her, and we ate together.

"No matter what happens, I'll always love you and Einar both. You will always be the best part of my life. You know that, right?" mom asked.

I smiled and moved around the table to hug her. "I know, mom. Einar does too."

We ate in silence after that. Grandma messaged her sometime later that the detective was done. Mom walked faster than normal. It was making me nervous walking so fast in a hospital, but no one said anything.

Mr. Clark was still there, waiting. Mom told me to wait in the room with Einar and she would talk to them. I nodded and left. Grandma and grandpa stayed with her.

I sat next to Einar and reached for his hand. He let me take it, which I took as a good sign. "I hope you aren't mad at me for giving him the journal. When I found it in the trash next door, I knew I had to protect you."

He nodded but wouldn't look into my eyes. "I'm not mad. It actually felt good to finally say it all. He listened, and I'm still here."

I squeezed his hand harder. "Yes, you are. You will always be my brother and mom's son. Nothing will ever change that.

For a few minutes, it looked like he wanted to ask me something. He would look at me, then look away. "So, you know I'm gay?"

"So am I," I said.

He looked into my eyes and held my gaze. "You are?"

"Yes, we're identical after all," I said.

"I don't want people to know."

I nodded. "Ok."

We sat there holding hands and watching the hospital television for a while until mom came in. I watched tears fall from her eyes. "He will never hurt you again," she said, and hugged us both.

There was a lot of back and forth where she was blaming herself and he was telling her she didn't know. Mom laid her head on his chest for some time with silent tears coming from her.

After a few minutes, she buried her head in my chest. "I'm so sorry he drugged you. I wish you would have told me."

"He drugged you?" Einar asked, shocked.

I sat there and told them what happened, like I told the detective. Grandpa stepped out for a few minutes. I think it enraged him and didn't want Einar or me to see.

The clock showed it was approaching eight at night. Most of us would need to leave. Mom told Einar that grandma would stay with him tonight while she takes care of some things.

Grandpa followed us out and pulled his car around to meet us. Mom called Mrs. Harrison to see if I could stay with Joey for potentially the rest of the week. Since she was my English teacher, mom thought it the best idea. She also was mom's best friend from college.

Once there, I saw grandpa pull in behind us. I wondered why he was following. Mom told me he was going to our house with her to talk to dad before he heads to work.

I was worried for her but knew I couldn't say anything. While they argued and threw things around the house while fighting, they have never attacked each other.

Mom followed me inside, and I ran up into Joey's room. I heard mom talking to Mrs. Harrison. It surprised me to hear Mrs. Harrison call grandpa by his first name. I didn't know they knew each other. But I guess it makes sense if mom and her were friends as kids.

It sucked not having clothes for tomorrow. I would have to wear the same clothes to school as yesterday. Nothing could be worse for a high schooler.

Seeing Joey and his older brother playing video games as I entered, I longed to be at Charlie's house. I wanted to hug him again. Simon and Joey were great, but they were too masculine and didn't hug other boys.