2 : we miss you - sad - curtis bros

THIRD PERSON

~

Ponyboy was sat in his room, rotting away, thinking about his friends deaths.
He was nearly sobbing when Darry came in the room.

"Did you finish your homework, Pony?"

But he stopped. Darry stopped as soon as he saw how bad Ponyboy was. "Pony," he whispered, staring at him. Ponyboy looked at him and wiped his eyes. "I'm sorry, I didn't do my homework. . ." Darry smiled slightly and shook his head. "It isn't your fault, kid." Darry walked over to him and sat next to him. "What's the matter, bud?"

"I miss them so much," He broke down, sobbing like he did at his parents funeral. Darry wasn't exactly sure who he was talking about, but he gave in and hugged him. The hug was warm and safe, making Ponyboy feel slightly better. "Who do you miss?" Ponyboy sniffled and sighed. "Johnny and Dally," he whispered, looking up at Darry's eyes. "I know, I know. They're so much better now, though, don't you think?"

Darry meant about how they're in a better place, and he was right. They were. Johnny didn't have to deal with his parents, and Dally didn't have to hate the socs anymore. They were finally at peace. They have been battling since the beginning. Battling for love and equality.

"Darry, it's my fault,"

Darry's heart stopped when he heard those words. "No, baby, it's not. . ."

Darry didn't know who he was trying to convince - Ponyboy or himself. "It is. If I haven't ran in that church. . ."

That's when Sodapop walked in. "Oh, honey, what's wrong?" He spoke ever so softly. Ponyboy immediately got up and hugged him, sobbing into Sodapop's DX shirt. "I won't ever see them again," Ponyboy whispered into his shirt. Darry got up and frowned, seeing how hurt they all are.

They won't see Johnny's rare grins, or Dallas not having such a look of hatred every once in a while, or them both ever having fun and laughing together. It physically hurt them and the rest of the gang.

Ponyboy had watched two of his friends die in the same day. "It's okay, kid." Sodapop whispered back.

"They're better now."

Ponyboy nearly snapped at hearing those words again.

"Yeah, maybe they are, but I won't ever see them again. . . why is life so unfair?"

Then, Soda and Darry both started crying. "It's just how it is."

They had all forgotten Two-bit and Steve both were home. Steve walked in and hugged Sodapop and Ponyboy.

Surprisingly, Two-bit had a look of sadness in his eyes. Like, something was missing.

But, something 𝘸𝘢𝘴 missing.

Johnny's little cute giggles,

or Dally's talent when it came to bragging.

Just thinking about it made all of their stomachs twist in complicated swirls.

"Why can't they come back?"