chapter one

august 20,2023storrs

august 20,2023
storrs. connecticut
third-person pov

AFTER LANDING IN Connecticut Gia got herself an Uber to the apartment she was getting with her best friend Imani. Imani was planning on getting an apartment for herself junior year and when Gianna told her she would be transferring to uconn the girls decided to move in together.

Gia and Imani had always wanted to share an apartment ever since they were kids. They talked about getting an apartment as soon as they went to college. But when Gia decided she wanted to go to Iowa the two were unable to fulfill the plans now that she transferred it was like a dream come true.

When Gia got to the apartment she saw Imani waiting outside for her. As soon as Gianna stepped out of the car Imani launched herself at her. Surprised she stumbled back a little and wrapped her arms around her best friend. "oh my gosh you're finally here, I missed you so much" Imani exclaimed as she let Gianna go

"I missed you too but I need to get my bags," Gia said laughing

The two girls moved to get Gianna's stuff out of the Uber and into their apartment resulting in them sprawled on the living room floor. "Girl what fuck do you need all that stuff for," Imani asked out of breath. "Shut up I didn't even bring that much stuff," Gia said rolling her eyes at her best friend's dramatics

"Bitch please you brought the whole state of Iowa with you."

"You're so dramatic," Gia said as she pulled her phone out to see four missed calls from her brother. Rolling her eyes Gia facetimed him he had been bothering her ever since she told him she was transferring. When he picked up his face appeared on the screen with a big smile on his face, "Hey lil sis" Dre said happily. "Nigga please don't start your 2 minutes older than me"

"Don't matter still 2 minutes older," he said as he stuck out his tongue. Gia mugged him "What did you call me for ho"

"Well ho some guys on the basketball; team are having a party and I was wondering if you and your annoying friend wanted to come"

Imani perked up from her spot "I know your bitch ass ain't talking about me"

"I am whatchu gon do about it"

"Nigga don't come to my annoying ass when you want me to do your nappy ass hair"

"Nappy? My hair is softer than a pillow" Dre said matter-of-factly

"Are you two done," Gia asked as the two kept going back and forth "I didn't start shit," Imani said shrugging her shoulders

"So you coming or not," Dre asked. Gia looked over at Imani raising a brow, "Sure we'll come" Imani said hanging up before he could respond. "I can't stand his ignorant ass" Imani groaned.

Gia chuckled her brother and Imani had been bickering with each other since the day Gia brought Imani home in second grade. Gia knew the only reason was because they liked each other but both were too stubborn to admit it.