chapter 3

Eventually he wound up buying five more guns in a few months.After a few weeks of babysitting the kids in the morning and after school I decided that I wanted to go back to work. My boyfriend was hesitant at first but then I told him that I feel like I need something to do. I walked over to my neighbor's house and asked her if it would be all right if my boyfriend son could babysit the kids in the morning and make sure they get to school. He was old enough that he was allowed to babysit and watch his sister. They said sure and they even offered to pay him. I never was offered payment before so to be honest I was a little upset. But I figured my boyfriend's son needed money more than me. So I applied to work where he was working with my neighbors. And I got the job my boyfriend never said anything to me about it. The day before I started at my new job we went shooting with his guns with friends of ours. He was excited to work with me or so I thought. I was getting excited the night before I was supposed to start working. I made a delicious dinner and we ate while I played a video game. He started cleaning the guns while I was playing the video game and his children were watching me play. Now at that point in time I didn't know that it was unsafe to clean a gun inside. And I was under the impression that there were no bullets left. I was wrong because in a split second he pulled the trigger and shot me in my leg in front of his kids. I froze to stunned to speak I put my leg straight out and all I kept saying was what was that babe over and over again. My boyfriend thought he shot the couch until he saw blood. He jumped into action and tried to put pressure on the wound in my leg. He made his son call 911. The ambulance was here fast but it took them a while to get me out of the building. While they were questioning my boyfriend outside I was being screamed at by another cop asking me where the guns were. I didn't know I just knew that my leg hurt and I wanted my mom. But I stayed strong and I just kept saying I don't know please help me. They moved me from the couch and they found the guns under the cushions. After the guns were removed from the house they took me to the ambulance. They originally wanted to take me to the local hospital but that hospital wasn't a trauma center so they made them go to the bigger hospital. I didn't have my phone on me so I told my boyfriend not to call my parents because I didn't want him to tell them I wanted to tell them what happened. But I didn't know that he was going to act the way he was with my phone. When I finally got to the hospital people kept asking me what happened and I didn't know but all I kept saying was I had to pee and I wanted to go to the bathroom and the nurse told me to just go because I wasn't going to be able to go to a toilet. I felt so violated and gross but they had no idea what happened so they kept asking me questions that I didn't know the answer to. It felt like hours until I got into an operating room for them to assess the damage. I was in the operating room for 6 hours. During that time I had an out-of-body experience. What can only be described as a set of stairs came from the ceiling and down the stairs came my grandparents. It was weird because my grandmother was dressed in a modern dress. She kept asking me how she looked. I couldn't understand what was going on. I thought I was dying and I kept saying I wasn't ready and my grandparents said my mom needed me too much for me to go now. But they wanted to tell me that they were all here for me. I woke up a few days later in the ICU I was intubated and I was waking up and I kept hearing my doctors talk about taking out my intubation tube but they were going to wait. They talked about it for 2 hours like I wasn't even there. As soon as all the doctors left the room I pulled out that tube. A nurse ran in and yelled at me for doing it. I tried to speak and she told me I wasn't allowed to talk for 2 hours. I was then told that a cop would be by to ask questions. I was scared and I didnt want to press charges. I thought it was an accident.