CHAPTER 1: Sweet Slap of Reality

Lay’s Point of View

A soft voice continues to whisper to my left ear. If only it had an angelic voice, I’d get up in a second, but it doesn’t possess such. What a disappointment. I can hear the impatient tone in her voice as she tries to wake me up, though I’m already awake. She’s indeed trying her best at everything.

“Lay.”

“Wake up Lay.”

“It’s already 8:35.”

“Dearest Lay, Get. Up. Please”

I envied your dedication, but I hate you as a human alarm.

I rolled around the bed to let her know that I was not yet willing to get up. Like, why would this bitter lady be waking up a busy dreamer like me, huh? Isn’t it too early to get up yet?

I tried to utter words, but they were like a bird's whisper. “Another minute,” said I with disappointment, then stretched out my arms to reach out for a pillow to cover my face. She’ll be annoyed in a minute and should be ready for a sermon.

The sun has now risen. I know it’s time to wake up and live, but I’m too tired. For everyone’s information, we slept late last night. But then, who’s fault is it? It’s Claire’s. She kept on saying she had something to say but we just ended up staying late without any word coming out of her mouth. Oh, my Claire.

“We’ll be late, hurry up.” She insists. Still, I’m lying on my bed doesn’t care about the time, and courageous enough to consume all the patience Claire has kept with her.

“MORRILAE PLEASE!” she suddenly shouted. My full name? Oh! She has lost it already. She knew that I’d be awakened once she uttered my full name because it’d make me angry. She succeeded. Though these eyes of mine are still closed, I can imagine her irritated face, raised eyebrow, deep sighing, and of course her rolling eyeballs. What scenery, dear.

“Calm down. Take your patience pill first.” I sarcastically suggested stretching out my hand as if I was giving her a pill for her patience. So, it’ll just tease her more. That’s the plan. 

My mind says I will not be defeated in this battle.

“If only there was such a medicine, Lay. I would love to buy the store itself,” she said, pouring a whole cup of sarcasm she also kept. “Get up. Remember, today is the day, we need to go out as early as we can.” 

“What difference does this morning offer from the previous days I’ve spent?”  I asked and heard her soft chuckles. What’s funny?

“It’s payday.” She sweetly whispered. “We’re going to the Mall.”

What? What is what? Payday? I heard a different tune that awakened my soul. Just after realizing it, I removed the pillow on my face and let the blanket slip on the floor, getting up hastily. I then ran through the bathroom.

We’re late. I mean not really since the mall had just opened at 8 am this morning. All things must be done as early as possible because we will soon be lining up at the counter longer than expected since it’s payday.

YEY! I could smell the mall’s air conditioner.

It’s the end of the month, pay day in short, also payment of bills and budgeting but then, this will be a day for us to go to a mall and roam. Claire is being paid with minimum salary at her job being a writer’s assistant in a Publishing Company, while I work at nowhere, I am currently jobless, last month I resigned from my previous job.

I am still in the job-hunting era.

“Are we still having breakfast here or will we just buy outside?!” Claire shouted just after I entered the bathroom to take a bath. But I never responded, am now busy singing, not sure maybe just shouting with a bit of a key.