Chapter 6

Time went on, and Desmond's wound slowly began to heal. He woke up each day with more strength and, soon, he was walking around his tiny room. Perhaps it was his enhanced body that allowed him to heal slightly faster than the average man, but it was only a matter of days before Desmond was somewhat recovered from his injury. As his strength increased he began to venture outside of the room he was enclosed in. He did not see Olivia for a long time until one day he actually found her sitting in the courtyard meditating.

     Her eyes were closed and she didn't see him standing from a distance. Desmond stared at the woman he never knew but who had tried to save him after he was shot. There was a confliction of emotions within him; he did not know whether to like or hate her. Nevertheless, he left before she could see him.

     After about a week since his arrival, Sensei began to talk more with Desmond. He began to teach Desmond how to meditate and clear his mind. Upon asking him what Olivia was doing Sensei remained vague. He insisted that Olivia was on her own path.

     More days passed and things started to get increasingly physical. It started small, like Desmond helped Sensei gather wood or supplies, but then he began helping hunt. Sensei gave Desmond a bow of which he was to use his strength on. The bow would snap if he pulled too hard so he had to use just the right amount of strength in order to not break the weapon. Sensei said it would teach him to balance his enhanced ability, and it did so. Two weeks after arriving in the temple Desmond was hunting side by side with his adopted mentor.

     By the third week, Desmond had moved on to tougher challenges. He began jogging around the temple, a feat that was always difficult because of the altitude. Desmond also began having mock fights with Sensei in order to improve his defensive techniques. Sensei taught him how to block and use the terrain to his advantage. However, Sensei may have been old but he was not easy to beat. Desmond lost every single fight, and some even left bruises. There was one such occasion where he lost his temper:

     "I can't do it!" he said to himself angrily. "I can't do this!"

     "Yes you can!" Sensei encouraged. "Channel your energy! You are becoming a warrior!"

     Desmond's limbs were exhausted but anger flushed through him, "I am not a soldier!" he yelled, hitting Sensei in the chest.

     The frail man doubled back a couple steps, clutching his chest. However, after a moment doubled over, Sensei straightened.

     "That is enough training for today," he mumbled. "End with a meditation."

     "I'm sorry," Desmond muttered. "It's just....I..."

     Sensei walked away and Desmond was left alone. He looked down at his calloused hands and clenched his fingers together. Desmond hated himself for not being able to fulfill Sensei's demands. He felt unworthy, in a way, and that he was not just failing his mentor but also himself. Desmond sauntered up to a spot overlooking the vast mountain range and sat with his legs folded. He closed his eyes and meditated, letting his anger go just as Sensei had taught him.

     Desmond's mind drifted through his consciousness. He thought back to Sensei's promise at the beginning of everything and of how he was going to let his parents go.

     Desmond's mind shifted back to his own life. He began to feel an odd guilt for everything he had ever done since his parents' deaths. Desmond squeezed his eyes shut, remembering the old man who had begged for money outside Platinum Tower. All he had needed was money, and Desmond had more money than he would ever need. Yet, he had turned away from him as if he were a stray dog. Desmond furrowed his brow in angst, also remembering the celebration commemorating Pierce Enterprises' success. It was meant to be a tribute to his father and he had let him down.