CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Page count: 13

Worcestershire - Wednesday 28th April 1982

The White Lions stood on one side of the battlefield, Voldemort and his Death Eaters stood on the other. Where they were wearing black robes and their silver masks, Hermione and the White Lions were wearing white robes. The contrast between the two would've been clear to anyone. Good and evil. Dark and light. Black and white.

"I will give you one more chance, Miss. Granger, join me," said Voldemort.

"It's Mrs. Potter-Black," she corrected, "And I would rather die."

"So be it, just remember this is all because of you."

He raised his wand and cast the first spell with Hermione effortlessly blocking his dark curse and signalling the start of the battle, both sides mingling and duelling, fighting for their lives and for their causes.

"Confringo," Hermione shouted, catching the tail end of Voldemort's robes but he was quick with extinguishing the flames whilst non-verbally casting a shield to deflect Hermione's following curse.

They continued duelling and parrying back and forth for what felt like hours and she knew Voldemort was getting bored. He was holding up well, but so was she. It may not have been a full moon but it was high in the sky and shining brightly, she knew the Moon Goddess was on her side.

"Stupefy," she shouted and he dodged it.

"Child's play," he hissed. "You are no match for me."

"And yet, here we are, I've already outlasted Dumbledore, surely that must be an indicator as to who you are dealing with," she threw back, blocking his Dismembering Curse.

"Serponsortia," he hissed.

A large king cobra appeared before Hermione and slithered towards her but she wasn't worried; with a few select hissing sounds slipping from her lips, the king cobra turned and headed out of the battle, off into the distance and finding a home for itself elsewhere.

She'd never been seen a man so surprised.

"Who are you? How do you know Parseltongue?" He demanded, his eyes flashing furiously.

This was what Hermione wanted. A distraction and it couldn't have come at a better time. The angrier she made him, the more focus he would lose; she knew that better than anyone.

"Still haven't figured it out yet? That must be embarrassing for you," she taunted, ducking and rolling out of the way of the Stinging Hex laced with a Blood Curse that she didn't doubt would've knocked her on her arse before slowly killing her.

"Who are you?" He snarled.

Hermione smirked, it was time to dig the wand in deeper.

"I'll give you a hint. I did attend Hogwarts. I was born in London. I existed but not here, not now." His irritation seeped from him in his very magic, swarming the battlefield like a dark cloud. "From what I've learned about you, Riddle, you were a smart man, surely you could figure it out." At his murderous glare, she smirked and gracefully dodged his Organ Rupture Curse. "No? Not smart enough, very well then, one final hint. You're asking the wrong question. You shouldn't be asking me where I'm from, but instead..."

His entire being seemed to freeze. "When are you from?"

Hermione clapped mockingly before blocking his Dismembering Curse. Hadn't he already used that one? Well, now he was becoming predictable. She was disappointed.

"I was born 1979; I am technically close to three-years-old. Now, however, I am nineteen. I was sent here from 1998," she explained as they continued their duel, paying no attention to those around them. "Things happened differently in my timeline; you were defeated in 1981 but you didn't return until 1991 in the form of a cursed half-life for drinking unicorn blood, you attached yourself to one of my Professors. Harry Potter, myself and another friend of ours were able to stop you from returning to your full power for the next three years. The fourth year, however, you did return and everything went to shit. A lot of terrible things happened those next three years, but eventually, the Final Battle was upon us and do you know what, Riddle? You lost, we prevailed and you died, I watched as you turned into ash and it was swept away in the wind."