Chapter 7

The triplets refused to allow me to do my own shopping and insisted they come along because they said it was their fault I had been ‘kicked’ out of the house.  No matter how many times I told them that this is what I had been wanting for a very long time; they still insisted and eventually JP picked me up and threw me over his shoulders.  He dumped me into their van amidst loud laughter from his brothers and I pretended to me mad at them.  Naturally they saw right through my act and promised me a huge soft serve ice cream in a sugar cone if I would forgive them.  Then they laughed again at my amazement that they knew my favorite treat.

“Rose, when we say that we have wanted you for a very long time; it also means that we have gotten to know you pretty well by now.”  JC sent a quick wink my way as he was navigating the late Friday afternoon traffic.

This time I was sitting up front with him.  I had expected the drive to the closest mall to be awkward, but the boys never gave the opportunity.  They kept me entertained and they also were rather shocked at how much I knew about their individual traits.  I guess both sides have been semi stalking the other side.

After al the time I had spent fantasizing about my move out of the house I knew exactly what I wanted; besides, the pool house was already pretty well furnished.  The kitchenette had a bar fridge that my dad might end up upgrading for me if I somehow did not manage with it.  We had already agreed that I would try and see how I managed it for about two or three months and then decided what to do; although I was pretty sure I would be getting a bigger one due to the fact that I ate a lot of salads and stuff.  The microwave was still pretty new because my uncle replaced it half a year ago when my cousin ‘accidently’ blew it up.  There was even a two plate stove with a miniature oven for preparing hot food from scratch.

I bought new curtains that would actually match the furniture in the lounge area and a couple of scatter cushions to brighten the room up.  Most of what I had to buy was crockery, glassware, silverware and some plastic stuff and a few pots and pans to add to the meager collection in the almost empty cupboards.  With that done I only had to do some grocery shopping for the weekend and a part of next week.

The boys had me crazy, adding a whole lot of stuff into the trolley; they even added bird food when I wasn’t watching.  I would definitely have to check every item at the checkout.  My mother had taken some cleaning goodies out of the pantry, but I did not look to see what she had taken out; so I only got the most basic stuff I would need for the weekend.

When that was done and all the goodies were packed into the van, JC hesitantly asked if they could invite themselves over for dinner if they got the pizza.  He must have known there was almost no chance of me declining.  I was eager to have our little talk so that I could somehow start organizing the jumble of emotions playing tug-o-war inside of me; so I allowed them to convince me if they got me the thick crust with extra cheese.

On the way back I was appointed as ‘pizza police’ to make sure neither of the two in the back stole any pizza before we arrived back at my place.  I got to carry all the yummy goodness while the boys quickly brought in our shopping.  My dad joined in and he was a bit surprised that I had not bought a whole lot of stuff.  He also wanted to know if we needed something to eat; but when he saw the pile of pizzas; he waited for everyone to settle down before he gave the three boys a hard glare.

He has always been able to read people pretty well and he was eyeing them warily with his arms crossed over his chest.  “Would anyone care to explain what is going on?”

I tried to say something but he silenced me with one glance.

Ever the spokesman, CJ cleared his throat.  “Well sir; to tell you the truth, we still have a few things to discuss with Rose before we can answer that question.  We were hoping to have a chat and see if we can talk through a few things.”