Chapter 20

It was Fraser's gentle stroking of his wilted spikes that roused Ray from restless, uneasy sleep. Even sheer exhaustion couldn't keep him down for long when his mind and heart were this troubled and on edge. Fraser's warm, sturdy bulk wrapped around him was surprisingly reassuring, the gentle strokes lulling. Ray shut his eyes again for a second and let the feel, scent, and heat of his partner brand itself into his memory. Right down deep so fifty years from now he could remember every detail. Nothing in his entire life came close to it.

"You're awake," Fraser murmured, running a thumb over Ray's eyebrow, smoothing the sleep-rumpled hairs into place. "You should try and get some more rest, Ray."

"Can't," Ray mumbled, shoving his face into Fraser's neck. "Can't sleep until it's over. Never could, on a bad case."

Remembering the Beth Botrelle case, where Ray ran on coffee and nervous energy for almost four days, Fraser forbore to argue. He shifted Ray closer and patiently dug his fingers into the knotted muscles in Ray's neck, pushing firmly against the pressure points until he felt the twisted strands release.

Ray groaned in relief and bent his head deeper into Fraser's chest, the cotton scrubbing against his stubbled cheek. The relief caused by those knots letting go was glorious. But Fraser's touch did more than soothe; now that he was awake Ray wanted his partner, needed connection to him, with him, needed to be part of Fraser right now.

"Frase," Ray muttered, his lips pressing hesitantly against Fraser's collarbone, his hands stroking the small of that wide-muscled back. "Ben. I... need you. Can... can we? Can I...?"

"As you wish, Ray," Fraser replied hoarsely, his breathing rough and hungry as his mouth moved to cover Ray's. Devoured it, comfort pushed aside by a need strong and desperate as the one driving Ray.

Ray sank into his partner's kiss and let go of everything that knotted him up in ugly snarls all day. Raw hunger flared hot and violent between them, burning away the stomach-churning doubts, the stark terror and wire-tight tension the day's chaotic events left inside him. Ray filled his hands with Fraser's shoulder blades and sank into that welcoming mouth, needing to feel the life surging through his partner. Life, heat, fire, all burning under that pale skin as Fraser's mouth opened under his, Fraser's tongue battled his for dominance... and Dief's low bark jerked them both up short.

The wolf was standing in the doorway to Fraser's room, head cocked as he studied them curiously. Diefenbaker rumbled low in his chest as he ambled over the bed and rested his head on the bedspread, watching them.

"Dief, buddy," Ray said, reaching out and ruffling the wolf's ears; feeling another unrecognized snarl of tension unknot at the understanding look Dief gave him as the half-wolf calmly submitted to the caress. "Thanks for taking care of our girl. I owe you."

Dief's wry ear-flick, head tilt and answering affectionate growl communicated so much unspoken emotion and insight Ray wondered suddenly how he could ever have missed how smart the wolf really was. Was he just blind or had Dief hidden his disconcerting intelligence until he trusted Ray? Until Ray was pack and could be trusted with the pack's secrets? Which was another seriously weird thought; but somehow when Ray wasn't looking, Dief's trust and regard -and affection- had come to mean as much to him as Fraser's and Marina's. So this was what pack meant, Ray reflected. He hadn't really got all of what that meant before.

Dief was still growling softly, but it took Fraser speaking to drag Ray out of la-la land again.

"Of course, Diefenbaker," Fraser said immediately, his face a weird combination of worried apprehension and suppressed hunger.