Alaska

I was sat in my trailer after one of the hardest days of shooting since I'd been in Canada. Unlike the clothing mishap on my first day several months ago, Emily and Sandra couldn't pretend like everything was okay. Or, more accurately, Emily couldn't.
The crew were getting everything packed up, and I had to leave my trailer in a few minutes so they could take it god-knows-where. The flight to Alaska was in an hour and I needed to get back to the hotel and pack.
I gathered myself, took a deep breath, and left the trailer. I was struggling to shake off the day. It felt like I hadn't been home in years. Where even was home now? I hadn't been in LA long enough to lay down roots. In fact, I'd been in Canada for longer.
I felt so displaced, like everything was uncertain. Today had been a reminder of how quickly things could change. I almost lost it all.
When I got to the hotel, I was beyond running late. I rushed up to my room and slapped the card against the censor. Sandy was standing in the middle of the room, a suitcase by her side and my duffel bag.
"Oh, hi," I said, surprised. "What's... going on?"
I was flushed and took a few steps towards her, catching my breath.
"You've been running late to everything all day. Clearly there's a lot on your mind so... I thought I'd pack up your stuff for you."
"You packed for me?"
She noted my expression and looked at me with a teasing glare. "Only because I don't want you making the entire production team run late."
"Hm, really?" I put my hand on the suitcase handle and my other one on her waist. "You gotta stop making these grand gestures or I just might get attached."
I lined my mouth up with hers, breathing in her perfume. My favourite smell. I smirked at my little dig, hoping it wouldn't spark another argument.
"Hey," I watched her mouth move, too close to see anything else. She dipped her head and we made eye contact. "I'm sorry. For what I said about you. I don't think you just attach to things, I was just... really angry."
"I'm not gonna lie, it hurt me. And it hurt even more that you believed a stupid tabloid over me." My eyes flickered between hers, they were pooling with sincerity. It made me forgive her instantly.
"It's my publicist. She's pretty harsh. She had some... choice words to say about you because of that article. I guess she got in my head. I really am so sorry, it's no excuse for how I spoke to you." She pressed her lips together.
I smiled despite myself. Her mouth curved into a smile, mirroring my own. "You know my mother called me, asking if it was true," I shook my head. "I don't think there's a way to erase what Emily did."
She placed her arms on my shoulders and I hugged her waist, looking at the way her eyelashes flicked up against her eyelids.
"Once it's out there, it's out there, Y/n. I knew that the minute I read the headline," she sighed. "I think it's time we got you into some media training."
"I think Emily is the one who needs media training."
"She needs how-to-be-a-decent-human-being training," she raised her eyebrows.
"Oh, no. It's way too late for that."
My heart fluttered as she laughed. That laugh. No matter what Sandy had said about my attachment tendencies, I couldn't deny how I felt about her. Attached was the word that sprung to mind. And if I wasn't hopelessly in love with her before, Jonathon was right, I was definitely hopelessly in love with her now.
And it was an entirely different feeling to how I felt before, when there was a million pixels and four thousand miles between us. Now I was standing in front of the camera with her, and I could feel the warmth of her touch and the bite of her sarcasm in real time.
I brushed my lips against hers, aware of the pressing time constraints tightening around us. I let them glide down her jaw and dip to her neck. Her pulse flickered manically against my tongue. She breathed out a soft sigh, her hands falling down my arms gently.
"Y/n," she tinkered, her palms cupping at my bent elbows.
"Hm?" I stood up straight. Her eyes were glazed as she looked down at me, a hazy shadow of a blissful smile on her face.
"We have to get to the airport," she whispered.
Her pouty lips pinched together as she noted my expression.
I took the suitcase and picked up my bag. "I love my work, I love my work, I love my work," I muttered to myself.
"You're gonna like Alaska..." she chimed, following me out of the door and through the hallways.
I didn't question what she meant by that until we had almost landed in Alaska. We had managed to steer mostly clear of Emily, except from when she was walking up the centre of the plane and passed us. I squeezed Sandy's entwined hand with my own, and she gave me a small, almost sad, smile. I kissed her knuckles, her rings digging into my fingers as I lifted her hand.
It hadn't been a particularly tough flight, but I was filled with sadness as we got further and further from Canada. About twenty minutes from landing, I could see the tips of the mountains. I watched them pass by under us, with my head against Sandy's shoulder.
Her hand pushed my hair away from my eyes and I lifted my head. She'd looked away from the window, holding my face.
"You okay?" She enquired.
I nodded. "A little sad... Canada was a bumpy road but it was special. It's where we found us... and where we started Awaken."
"I know, baby," she said ruefully. "I can't believe it's almost over."
Did she just call me baby? She definitely just called me baby. Sandra Bullock called me baby. It had been a long time since I'd had a genuine omg I'm actually in a relationship with Sandra Bullock moment. She had become so much more to me than the credit I was used to seeing at the beginning of movies. I blinked at her, speechless.
"What?" She asked.
"Nothing," I kissed her quickly, looking back out the window. "So, you said I was gonna like Alaska. How come?"
"Because you don't have to stay in a hotel out here. I have a property." Her voice vibrated against the top of my head.
My head snapped up and she pulled away to dodge me. "You do?"
She nodded, amused. "I was gonna keep it a surprise until we landed, but it felt like you could use a pick me up."
"Consider me picked up, oh my god. Is it big? Is it near the water, like in The Proposal?"
She rolled her eyes. "It actually is, yes."
I grabbed her face with my finger and thumb on her cheeks and kissed her repeatedly. She scrunched up her face.
"This is gonna be the best." I squealed, kicking my feet.
"I should've waited," she shook her head, chuckling at me.
As soon as the wheels hit the tarmac I barrelled out of the plane and through the airport, with Sandy at my heel. She had a driver waiting for us outside. I was shocked by the cold, somehow still not used to it after Canada.
Sandy pulled her coat tight around her and helped me with my bags.
As we drove through the state I practically pressed my nose against the glass. Sandy wasn't here often, but she had a place here, which meant it was important to her. I didn't wanna miss a thing.
When the car stopped and I heard the hand break pull up, I looked to Sandy for confirmation we were here. She pointed with her head to the door, indicating I could get out.
My legs were aching from over six hours of travel, and I needed to pee badly. I stretched out and then turned around, my jaw dropping. I would've thought we were in the middle of a cut-off paradise, if it wasn't for the gigantic house planted right in the middle of it. We were surrounded by glittering water, with a private dock extending out. It was planted firmly onto the bank which traversed out onto acres of forestry, climbing up into the distant mountains.
The house itself boasted a mixture of rustic wooden accents with large glass windows and a balcony that was large enough for a sitting area.
Sandy thanked the driver, giving him a charming smile. Then he rolled away. Suddenly, it was just me, Sandra, and our bags. She turned to face me, holding out her hand.
"Want a tour?" She asked, squinting at me in the winter sun.