Prologue

"So what? If Sam leaves for Stanford, he isn't a part of this family anymore?", I pleaded with my father. I was practically begging for a logical answer. Begging to understand. It was pointless, John Winchester was and always will be a stubborn man.

     "You know it's not that simple Mia.", Dean interjected.

     "Stay out of this! He is our brother and you have your head too far up Dad's ass to be able to defend him!", I shouted over my shoulder to my eldest brother.

     "Sam is bailing on this family! He's bailing on the family business. Saving people, hunting things. It's what we do, what we believe in. Sam is just throwing that all away!", John yelled his point at me.

     "He wants a normal life! What's so wrong with that? It's his life and he should be able to decide on what to do with it. If you can't get behind that, then I'm leaving too!", I exasperated. My father slammed his heavy hands into the shitty motel room table as he rose from the wooden chair that was in the same rickety condition.

     "And do what, Mia? You're 18 years old. Just graduated high school. Never applied to college. You only have two skills, turning a wrench and hunting. You go, you don't come back.", John seethed at me.

     "Fuck you.", I muttered around the lump in my throat. Turning around and blinking back tears, I made my way towards my duffle bag and ignored the pleas from my brother to our father.