Epilogue

My eyes shot open in the middle of the night. It was far from the first time, but it had been happening less recently since I arrived in Gloomsdale. Even my grandparents were surprised. After my visit at Sunrise Hotel, I had been sleeping through the night more regularly, though I was still much more of a night owl. But I rarely woke up at night anymore. When I did oversleep for the first few days after I arrived in Gloomsdale, I woke up in the afternoon or late in the evening, just before or after the sun set and night fell. My grandparents still scolded me for that while making a late dinner for me.

My grandmother says it's part of Gloomsdale's magic. She still tries scaring my brothers with stories about the town, but she says I probably have enough nightmares as it is. I don't think anything can be scarier than what I went through.

I tensed, clutching the covers tightly as I realized with a horrifying sense of déjà vu what had awoken me. A soft knocking at the door.

Tap, tap.

Not all the results of my stay at Sunrise Hotel were positive. I was terrified whenever I heard the sound that used to be normal and mundane to me, even if it was just my grandparents knocking on the door. Especially at night. I buried myself under the covers, keeping my eyes tightly closed.

Tap, tap.

I closed my eyes tighter, my heart thudding. I knew I wasn't being logical. I knew the Dreamtaker was gone, but I still tensed whenever I heard knocking.

"Dawnie?"

The soft, meek voice caused me to open my eyes. I pulled myself out of the covers, staring at the door at the end of my bedroom. I was even more afraid to get out of bed at night now, but the sound of my brother's voice encouraged me to. I made my way across the room, but I hesitated at the door. I was still apprehensive about opening any door when somebody knocked. I kept worrying about who or what I'd let in.

I jumped as two more knocks returned, impatient and insistent this time. "Dawn, is that you?"

I felt a wave of relief upon hearing Jake's voice, even if he sounded as meek and unsure as Jason usually was. But I was still uncertain about letting him in. I remembered how I thought I had let him in at Sunrise Hotel, only for a cold, lifeless version of my brother to intrude on us.

Thankfully, I didn't have to. Jake pushed the door open by himself. Usually, he snuck into my room to play jokes on me, but this time, there was sincere fear and worry in his eyes.

I put my arm around him, relieved to feel that his body was warm despite his shaking. "What is it, Jake?"

He pulled away. "Nothing. It's... it's stupid."

"So you banged on my door and woke me up for no reason?" I asked lightly.

"I'm sorry," he apologized. "I shouldn't have. It must have reminded you of when we were back at..." He shuddered.

Taking in the scared expression on his face, I suddenly understood. "You had a nightmare, didn't you? About Sunrise Hotel?"

"No!" Jake protested. "Of course not."

"It's fine if you did," I assured. "I sometimes do, too. And I can't even hear knocking without being reminded of that place." I shuddered as well. "It was so awful. Even without the Dreamtaker. It was so cold and dark, without any light... I can't imagine how you felt when..." I trailed off.

"It was," Jake agreed. "I don't want to imagine it. But... I still remember. The moment when I felt my life being taken... and then, I was nothing. I still can't believe that I'm really here."

"Come on, let's get to the kitchen," I suggested while leading him through the house, feeling another sense of déjà vu from my first night at the hotel. Only this time, it was the other twin. "I'll make you some hot chocolate."

There was silence as we sat at the kitchen counter. Then Jake spoke up.

"It's... it's my fault," he whispered, tightening his hands around his mug.

I stared at him in surprise. "What?"

"It's my fault," Jake admitted. "What happened at the hotel. I shouldn't have left that morning just to show off how brave I was. I should've listened to you and Jason. But I was stupid enough to leave, after I made fun of you two, and..."

"Don't say that," I scolded. "I should've stopped you from leaving. It was my fault, really. I was supposed to keep an eye on you. I didn't even notice it wasn't really you until it was too late."

"It's not your fault, Dawnie," Jake assured. "The Dreamtaker was a very good actor. Enough to fool even Jason and Mom and Dad..." His eyes darted nervously around the darkened room. "I still feel... weird being up late at night." I could tell he didn't want to admit he was scared.

"I feel that way all the time," I told him. "It's nice having company while I'm up late at night for a change."

Jake shook his head. "I'm afraid the Dreamtaker is still there..."

"She isn't. She's gone," I assured, putting my arm around him. "Gone forever, thanks to you."

"Thanks to me?" Jake stared at me. "But it was the other shadows who got rid of the spirit that killed them. And I'm the only one who came back..." He glanced down guiltily.

"They prevented her from returning," I admitted. "But weren't you the one who pushed back the curtains?"

"Oh, yeah," Jake realized. "I barely remember anything from when I was a... a ghost." He shuddered, spilling hot chocolate onto the counter. "Except for the moment when I felt all of my life leave my body. But after that, I was too weak. You were the one who got rid of the spirit."

"I messed up at first," I admitted. "I pulled the curtain in the wrong direction. Then I remembered to let the sunlight in."

Jake's eyes widened. "I remember. I saw the darkness, and then, I felt the sunlight. It was so warm, so comforting... but for the Dreamtaker, it was deadly."

"Well, no wonder sunset defeated her," I remarked. "And dawn also defeated her."

Jake groaned, rolling his eyes at me. But we both smiled.

I jumped as I spotted a flash of light from outside. I walked over to the kitchen window and pulled back the curtain to see the first dim streaks of light flashing softly across the pale blue sky.

"Now it really is dawn," I muttered. "You must've woken me later than I thought."

Jake glanced over at the window, before yawning. "I feel really tired all of a sudden."

I laughed. "Now you know how I feel. I always fall asleep just when the sun begins to rise."

"I'm not that tired," Jake insisted, forcing his eyes open while draining the last of his hot chocolate. "I can stay up." His voice was almost scared now instead of weary. He sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

I headed back to his side. "You don't have to be afraid of falling asleep," I assured.

"I'm not afraid!" Jake insisted.

"No, of course not." I rolled my eyes. "I'm kind of tired, too. I should be heading to bed as well. You should come with me."

Jake reluctantly agreed while following me to my room. I honestly wasn't that tired, but I could tell that Jake was.

"Could you stay for a little longer?" I asked while settling into my bed.

He lingered at the side of my bed, yawning. Then he quickly tried to suppress it.

"You could rest in my bed for a while if you want," I offered, rolling over to the side against the wall.

"I don't need to!" Jake protested. "I'm not..."

His words were cut off by a loud yawn that he couldn't suppress. He rubbed his eyes while falling to his knees, resting his arms on my bed. I smiled and helped him up. He squirmed and wriggled, but did little to protest as I put my arm around him and spread the covers over him. We drifted off curled next to each other, without any nightmares about the hotel or the vicious spirit.