Chapter 31

We stumbled out of the shadows just behind the summit of the hill my soldiers were now racing over to meet our enemy on the other side, taking a wide berth around us as the thunder of feet and flapping of membranous wings filled the air around us. I immediately dropped my grip on Mor to grab hold of Jane's trembling hands; her eyes were wide as she stared at us.

"Are you okay?" I was almost shouting over the noise surrounding us, metal against metal now dominating any other sound, sending shivers spider walking down my spine and causing worry to form a knot in my stomach.

"Damian." Her eyes widened as she realized that we had left him behind on the front lines, and I had to secure my arm around her waist to prevent her from running back. Even though I was itching to do the same.

"He'll be okay, J!" Mor shot, her eyes fixed on the soldiers rushing past us, one hand firmly gripping the hilt of the sword strapped to her hip.

"He's not a fighter!" Jane retorted, and I winced at the fear in her voice.

"I wouldn't worry about him, Lady Jane." My head swiveled to Lord Abebe striding through the rushing soldiers to our right, a soft smile playing on his lips. "Damian might appear to be a courteous man, but he's had the best training on the continent. He's a prince after all." I slowly released my sister's waist as I felt her settle a bit, her eyes fixed on the lord.

"Lord Abebe." Mor mused, tipping her head once in greeting, but the pain in her eyes didn't go unnoticed. She was there too that night; she had a date with Lord Abebe's son just hours before he was murdered.

"It's good to see you both." He tipped his head in return, but his eyes seemed void of emotion before turning his attention to the hill behind us, where the battle was now in full swing. The sound of snapping jaws, metal clashing, and barks of aggression came from beyond. The wargs were in the middle of it, and panic quickly took hold of me. Nyx. I immediately reached out for our bond, but it was silent, with only the occasional snarl drifting back in response. She was fighting, but alive, and that's enough to ease the panic a bit. "You should join them." I snapped my gaze back to Lord Abebe, his brow furrowed as if he had noticed my sudden distress, and quickly looked over at my sisters again.

"We'll be alright. I'll protect Jane if anyone breaks through." Mor promised as she drew her sword, flames erupting along the blade. She used her free hand to pull Jane in behind her as the last of my soldiers crossed over the summit of the hill.

"I will stay here with them. Tanner requested that I stay at the back anyway." Lord Abebe added, and I fought back the urge to roll my eyes. Of course, he did.

"I'll be back as soon as I can!" I shot as I started moving back towards the battle, not daring to look back at them. I can't risk looking at my sisters again; it feels too much like goodbye, and I have no plans to die today.

The view atop the hill made my stomach churn. Bodies were scattered along the ground, a mixture of allies and enemies with lifeless eyes and bloodied limbs. A few were missing an arm or leg, some even their heads, but an unmoving, black mess of fur caught my attention and made my throat close instantly. Please don't be Nyx. The fur was stained a deep red, almost unnoticeable among the black, and the head was positioned at a completely wrong angle. Bile burned my throat, but a soft growl reverberated down the bond. It's not her. Thank Maia. I broke free from the frozen fear and quickly unsheathed the daggers at my ribs before descending the hill. Two large fae males, clad in brown leather, broke from the battle to meet me halfway. The first had mud and blood coating his short blond hair, and a rage in his hazel eyes that spurred me into a run. I quickly threw myself to the ground, using my momentum and body weight to slam into the male's legs, knocking him over and he tumbled to the ground head first. I didn't give him time to react before pivoting on my toes and slamming my dagger into his back until the leather brushed the hilt. One heartbeat passed, then two, and his body went limp. The next didn't give me time to stand as he rushed at me, his broadsword slashing through the air. Just as it was about to cut me straight through the middle, my shadows moved me mere inches behind him. The blade hit the lifeless body of his comrade with a sickening crunch before I launched my attack. The same dagger cut deep into the skin and muscle behind his knees. His scream was drowned out by the battle raging behind us, and my eyes focused on his back as he dropped to his knees. My hand quickly found the back of his leather armor, and I pulled him flush against my chest before running the blade along his throat. I didn't give myself time to think about the blood gushing over my hand, warm and sticky like a freshly baked caramel tart, before dropping the body at my feet. I was running again towards the thick of the battle. My shadows guided me through the masses, bodies dropping at my feet, blood splattering my leathers and face before I moved on to the next. Seven. As I passed by, a large male slammed the hilt of his blade against one of the younger warg's heads. Another warg pounced on him from behind, and I let them deal with it as I threw myself into another soldier. Already moving again before he hit the ground. Eight. I threw myself to the ground when an arrow sizzled overhead, hitting a female chiropteran behind me. Despite her screams, I shut my mind to the horror and pushed myself forward again. I can't stop; I need to get to the others.