chapter two

Evie held the red solo cup to her lips but didn't sip from it

Evie held the red solo cup to her lips but didn't sip from it. She carefully scanned the crowd of drunk teenagers in front of her, wondering when she could leave. Lottie had begged her to come, and she couldn't say no.

That's how she found herself leaning against some tree in the dark woods a mile out from the high school. The blazing fire commanded all of her attention, as she ignored the boys challenging each other to a beer keg, couples making out loudly behind her, and the howling of drugged-up teens running around. In fact, she remained zoned out until she noticed her drink was empty. She didn't realise when that happened, cursing herself for finishing it too quickly.

Walking towards the refill section, she offered Taissa a tight smile before pouring herself another cup of whatever alcohol this was. It wasn't the sweet candy drinks she was used to, but it still got the job done. She stepped to the side before taking a sip, allowing Taissa access when Shauna staggered towards them. While Taissa didn't seem to notice her, Evie could easily how drunk she was, which is why she shouldn't have been shocked when Shauna tried to start something. "I admire your resilience, Tai. It can't be easy knowing you fucking crippled someone today," she snapped.

Taissa turned around, rolling her eyes. "Cool, good talk," she replies, placing the beer on the table and walking off. Evie took another sip from her drink, wondering if she would have to step in.

"Just admit you did it on purpose," Shauna demanded, causing Taissa to turn around, a venomous glare on her face.

Evie sighed, placing her drink down, "Shit," she mumbled, inching slowly towards Taissa in case she reacted.

"Excuse me?" Taissa asked, brushing Evie off.

Shauna crossed her arms over her chest, "You heard me."

Taissa scoffed, "You're wasted," dismissing her and ready to walk off again.

Shauna's eyes darkened and her nostrils flared, "And you're a fucking sociopath," she sniped back, as a crowd began to form, watching the spat between the two girls. Lottie appears by Evie's side, silently asking what was going on. Evie nodded at Taissa and Shauna, closer now, and both looking ready to pound the other.

Van, noticing what was happening, quickly approached Shauna's side. "Hey, Shauna, take it easy. . ." she puts her hand on Shauna's shoulder, ready to lead her away when the brunette shrugged it off and turned around to face the rest of her team.

"Good news, you guys. We don't have to worry about the Allie problem anymore. Taissa fixed it for us. . ." she announced, causing Evie and Lottie to exchange glances. No one knew quite what to do except watch the trainwreck that was about to occur.

Laura Lee, who had been hiding behind Evie—unbeknownst to the brunette—asked, "What's she talking about?" Evie jumped in fright, placing a hand over her heart. "Oh, sorry, Evie," the brunette brushed her off, insisting it was okay.