chapter three

A canopy of trees covered the light blue sky, as dark smoke billowed above, escaping through the branches

A canopy of trees covered the light blue sky, as dark smoke billowed above, escaping through the branches. The sticks beneath Evie's body poked and prodded, as she groaned, placing a hand on her forehead to soothe the pain invading her brain. It wasn't until she sat up, as her ears continued ringing, did she realised how unusual it was to wake up to the sky. Then, when the obnoxious sound ceased, it was instead replaced with the screaming and crying of girls around her. When Evie finally came to, the sight of the crashed plane elicited a blood-curdling scream to erupt from the back of her throat.

"Evie!" Lottie cried out, racing towards her and throwing her arms over her friend. She buried her face in Evie's messy brown hair and held her close, "God, you weren't waking up, I thought you were dying," she sobbed. Overwhelmed by the crash—and overstimulated by the cacophony of screaming girls—Evie violently wept into Lottie's chest.

Taissa approached the girls, tripping over her feet and falling on her knees, "Have either of you seen Van?" she begged, gripping tightly onto both their thighs. Evie's face hardened, shoving Taissa off of her as she ripped herself out of Lottie's arms.

"What do you mean? You sat with her!" Evie snapped, but Taissa ignored her, struggling to her feet before sprinting for the plane again. Lottie and Evie exchanged worried looks, but as the world seemed to endlessly spin around them—girls frantically running around them, birds calling out, the smell of smoke and death infiltrating their noises—they were brought back to reality by the disturbing sounds of their screaming coach.

Evie went to get up but cried out in pain, falling into Lottie's arms as she began clutching at her ankle. "What's wrong?" Lottie asked in concern. Evie broke out into tears again, whimpering as she placed her foot back on the ground and applied pressure to it. Now was not the time to worry about a sprain.

A crowd quickly gathered around him, as everyone gawked at the predicament, he'd gotten himself in. A part of the plane had landed on his leg, and he was trapped underneath. Thoughtlessly, Evie was the first one on the ground as she struggled to lift the metal—she was soon joined by the rest of the team. It almost killed her considering how much her ankle was stinging, but she knew that he couldn't stay trapped under the debris any longer.

The grizzly sight of the skin coming off of the bone, as it spiralled callously on the ground—the bottom part of his leg connected only by a string of nerves. Evie pushed herself in the opposite direction, dry retching because of the sight. She'd never seen anything so horrific. "What is it? What happened?" he howled; his tone laced with fear. Everyone groaned at the sight as Ben managed to lift himself off the ground slightly, before crying out at the sight, "Oh, fucking God!" He begins retching as well.

The smell of exposed flesh overwhelmed Evie, as she fought the urge to sprint through the forest and never come back. Ben passed out from shock—but that was only the start of his problems. Misty approached the group, which parted like the Red Sea when they saw the large axe in her hands. "What the—" Natalie began but was interrupted by the squelching sound of the sharp weapon slicing through Ben's leg, eliciting gasps of horror and shrieks from the team. "Fuck," she finished, staring at the scene in horror. The blood had splashed onto Misty's face, making her look deranged—Evie turned away again, feeling bile rise in her throat.