summer (nemma) 🎀

this one goes out to my bbg ashleyisoffline cos i saw her announcement about dry nemma fics and wanting more nemma fics, just so yk i tried my best at this (i havent written in third person in a while) 

i hope this is exactly what you asked for 💗 love you & thank you for being a loyal commenter bby

///

That summer seemed to last forever.

Emma found that if she thought about it more and more it was like being transported into another universe, back to the past, on that cruise ship.

School had ended for the year and it was a sunny August where she could let loose and not worry about her homework or study. The pressure of being a lawyer had finally caught up to her to the point where her sleep schedule was messed up and to all her friends she was unexciting, uneventful and stressed all the time.

"I'm glad Mom and Dad booked these tickets, aren't you?" Her younger sister, Kitty, had suddenly appeared at her side where she was standing at the railing and beamed in her direction. Kitty was almost every opposite of Emma—a carefree girl with confidence. 

"Yeah," Emma replied wistfully. "It's nice to not have my brain clogged up all the time, and to be able to do things without a schedule, and just spend time with my little sister." She nudged Kitty and smiled.

"Yeah, those friends of yours weren't the best." Kitty wrinkled her nose and frowned. "Especially your little boyfriend."

"Ex-boyfriend," Emma corrected, "and yeah, I do agree. He was really controlling and always wanted to party."

"I mean, for a while you were a bit of a study freak," the younger girl said, which earned a glare from her older sister. "What? Sorry for telling you the truth, but you had your whole entire life planned ahead of you, and Jake's too. Maybe you were the controlling one."

"It's a habit," Emma said with a sigh. "Leave me, Kitty."

Kitty rolled her eyes. "I'm going back to the room." She scuttled off, leaving Emma standing there. Emma sighed and walked to the poolside bar. She just had to get her mind off things, and do what she had come on the cruise to do: rest.

"Get me a cup of whatever you recommend," she said with a sigh. "As long as it's non-alcoholic." The bartender nodded and turned away. 

"Non-alcoholic?" Emma heard someone say. She looked to her right and saw a dark haired boy roughly the same age as her sitting there, reading a book. It was a bit risky since they were near a pool, but she wasn't going to ask. "You must be an exciting person."

"Shut up," Emma replied, "I have a younger sister and I don't want to go back to our room wobbly and completely passed out."

"Fair," the sarcastic boy said. "You must care a lot about her. What's her name?"

"Kitty, and why do you wanna know?"

"One of my friends came with me on this ship, but he's always in the pool and refuses to get out, so I am in desperate need of friends or I'll look pathetic sitting around with a book." 

"That must suck." Emma smiled sweetly at the boy's stunned expression. The bartender returned and slid a bright yellow drink with shaved ice across to her. She picked it up and puckered her lips at the taste of our pineapple and lemon. "Don't you have something else to do? A girlfriend or boyfriend to hang out with, at least?"

"Nope, nobody but my friend, and I'm fine with it. I have books." The boy rolled his eyes and looked down at his book. It was soggy around the sides from splashed water drops from the kids frolicking around in the pool.