august (noco) 🎧

folklore 😍😍😍
this is all that plays in my mind whenever i look at her so ofc i hv to do august for a songfic, i've been thinking about her too much recently
i really miss qld it was so sunny :(
this is confusing cos its set in qld and in august in qld its actually winter, but since its brisbane it's mostly sunny so ignore that 

///

"salt air and the rust on your door
i never needed anything more
whispers of are you sure
never have i ever before"

August was one of Cody's favorite months.

It came second to December. December was the ultimate best because of the minty hot chocolates and warm Christmas lights. But August was just as good because of the red hot summers by the beach. Every year in August his family went to Queensland, halfway across the globe, to visit some aunts and uncles. In Australia it was winter in August, but they went in late August, which meant the country was making the transition into spring. They had a beach house there, with a view of the beach.

He always saw the boy next door, the one with too many siblings and this closeted posture. He was the same age as him, and it was very difficult to make friends with him. But Cody was determined, every day he went out on the balcony to see the glass doors where he sat inside reading and waved. The boy ignored him with a grunt at first, but then began to wave back.

When he was ordering from the ice cream shop in Surfer's Paradise he bumped into the boy. "Hey, I know you," Cody said with a grin. "You're the boy from next door, right?" 

The boy was carrying a large paper bag full of takeout and stared grimly at him as he said, "Yeah. And you're the one who always waves at me, no matter how many times I ignore you." He gives Cody a mini eye-roll as he says that, but Cody didn't care. 

"Why do you even wave at me?" the boy asked. Cody weaseled out of him that his name was Noah, and he was exactly as Cody expected- gloomy, sarcastic, a bit mean. It was okay, because Cody had enough energy for the both of them. 

"I don't live here, I only come down here every August to visit family. It gets a bit tedious, but also boring. I just wanna make at least one new friend." 

"One friend, huh?" Noah asked. He kept walking, and Cody followed. "I'll be your friend, I guess. You seem like an okay person. You have too much energy, though."

"It's for the both of us, because you don't have enough." At that, Noah smirked. Cody begged him to give him his number, and because he was exhausted of his whingeing, he did. He then walked off with his paper bag to where his family was sitting. Cody crossed his arms over his chest in victory and walked back to the ice cream shop where he was before.

After two weeks spending time together, they both snuck out to sit under the stars on the beach. Cody accidentally developed a massive crush on the bookworm. It was something about his sarcasm, maybe? Cody wiggled his toes under the warm sand. Noah put his hands behind him to stable himself. "The stars look beautiful tonight," he said, staring at the sky.

Cody smirked, it was the perfect opportunity to use his epic charisma. "Almost as beautiful as you." To his surprise, Noah was taken aback, and he turned away but Cody noticed the red blush spreading across his face. "Oh my God, Cody, that was so bad."

"Bad? I see you blushing. Don't hide it." Noah turned back around and slapped his face a few times in an effort to make it less red, but it just made it worse. Cody snorted. "You look like a beetroot."

"It's not my fault," Noah said. He almost pouted. "I've never had a boy I like flirt with me before. Usually they're all hopeless older men." He didn't realize he'd accidentally let something slip. Cody stared at him in astonishment. A boy I like?