Chapter 4

Vairenye floated in an endless sea of ever-changing colors. Its currents wrapped around her like a warm cocoon, letting her drift weightless through and over them. The currents themselves seemed to glow diffusely, though it was also simultaneously somehow endlessly dark. A part of her deep inside uncurled itself, relaxing into its proper form. She moved her hands through the currents slowly, watching the colors dance and twinkle as she changed their flow. She could feel her soul smiling as she danced in the Eternal Deep, reveling in her own power, the power she kept locked down tight.

It is good to see you smiling, Seedling, a male voice, light and airy, echoed through and around her.

She didn't reply, but her smile grew a bit. A large, opalescent dragon materialized in front of her, just as indescribable and ever-changing as the currents around it. It turned and dove around her, before twisting itself so that it could look her in the eyes.

Tell me, Seedling, what have you learned since we last met?

Vairenye stared in the dragon's eyes, drawn into their cosmic depths. "Spells for defense, mostly. A few spells of transmutation and obfuscation. I've been focusing on things that will help me when I leave the village."

Good, good, the dragon purred. And what of offensive magic?

Vairenye frowned. "Why would I need that?"

The dragon clacked its teeth, and what might have been a hint of sorrow passed through its eternal eyes. There are dark times coming, Seedling. Defensive magic is all well and good, but there will be times when you need to fight back.

A feeling of unease swept over Vairenye. Fighting back felt so...unnatural. Her whole life was nothing but defense and survival. The idea of anything else just sounded absurd.

The dragon cocked his head, as if he were sensing her unease. After a moment, he raised a single heliotrope claw and placed it gently over her heart. Vairenye felt something like a seed of fire pass through her chest, moving into her stomach and settling in as a comfortable warmth.

When you need it, the fire is there, the dragon said. I have given you nothing other than the keys to unlock it. Learn to harness the fire, Seedling. It will serve you well.

Vairenye nodded, folding her hands over her belly where she could still feel the warmth.

As everything around her faded into soft darkness and the depths of dreamless sleep, she heard the dragon's voice echoing in her mind.

We will meet again soon, Seedling. Tend your fire.

It was either the singing of the birds or the sun hitting her eyes that woke Vairenye up - though both felt equally annoying after the late night prior

It was either the singing of the birds or the sun hitting her eyes that woke Vairenye up - though both felt equally annoying after the late night prior. With a groan she threw off her covers and sat up, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. For a moment, the feeling of peace from her dream lingered - before the memory of her grandmother's visit blew it all away. She sighed, running her hands through her too-coarse, too-brittle hair.