Æthelbald's Affair

I woke up at the eighth hour of the second day of August. I bathed and then dressed up in my finest robes, before walking to Æthelbald's chambers.

I gently knocked on the door. No answer. I knocked again. Still no answer. Eventually, I became impatient and pushed open the door, only to find it completely empty.

What? Where is Æthelbald? I was puzzled. A servant walked past me, and immediately, I asked her where Æthelbald had gone.

"Your Grace, his Grace Prince Æthelbald has been sent to the frontlines. He left at dawn this morning. Have you not heard?" The servant informed me.

I was stunned and stood rooted to the ground. The servant bowed then quickly continued doing her chores. I ran to King Æthelwulf's room and kicked the door open, and I saw my soon-to-be husband in bed with another servant girl who was no older than me.

I was furious. I took a towel and threw it at the girl, and she quickly dressed herself before scurrying out of the room.

"How could you! How could you send Æthelbald away without informing me?" I sobbed.

"Why do you care? He does not affect you, and he is not your son!" Æthelwulf shouted.

He got out of bed and slapped me hard on the cheek. I retaliated by throwing a portrait of the late consort Osburh on the ground and ran out of the room.

I covered myself with blankets and felt dizzy. I could not think straight and soon, I faded in and out of consciousness. Then, a wave of tiredness overwhelmed me.

My marriage to King Æthelwulf was supposed to take place in July, then it was postponed to October due to my ill behaviour. However, I fell into a coma, and many feared that I would never regain consciousness. However, on Easter Day in the Year of Our Lord 856, I regained consciousness, and all of Wessex and Francia heaved a sigh of relief.

Æthelbald thankfully returned to Winchester after winning many minor victories in Mercian Danelaw. However, he was enraged with my father for sending him away from me and making me fall into a coma. When he returned, the first place he visited was my chambers.

I had just woken up a few days ago and was still ill. I was fed many medicines so I could regain my health. However, when I saw Æthelbald, I signalled for all my ladies and physicians to leave the chamber.

"Judith," he began. "I am planning a rebellion against Æthelwulf." Æthelbald explained.

He asked for my support, and of course, I agreed.

***

It was the twenty-fifth day of September in the Year of Our Lord 856. It was finally time for my marriage to Æthelwulf. I boarded a ship with Æthelwulf back to Paris, as I insisted on leaving Wessex for the marriage. Æthelbald was appointed regent, and of course, that was what he was always waiting for. Luckily, our trip back to Paris was without drama, and when I reached Paris, my father and siblings were waiting for me with open arms.

I immediately visited my mother, who was eight months pregnant with her eighth child. She smiled at the sight of me, and I embraced her.

I stayed in my old chambers and nostalgia overwhelmed me. I was grateful to be back, but I knew my stay here was not for long.

Six days after my arrival, I was wed to my betrothed King Æthelwulf in a grand ceremony. I wore a white satin dress made in a region of my father's kingdom called Flanders, while my old husband tried his best to dress up. Jewels hung from my ears and gold lined my chest. My father King Charles led me gracefully to the altar, and my husband smiled at the sight of me. We knelt together in front of the priest as hundreds of noblemen and noblewomen watched. And after six long hours of dressing-up and preparation, I was wed. My dear husband then knelt down in front of me and gave me a diamond ring.