ch. 04

Makoro decided the best option is to get back to their tents and wait for them. If they won't come back in half an hour, he'll notify the police. He texted and called all of them.

Makoro:
- guys im going back to the lake. If you won't come back in 30 minutes, I'll call the police
- I'm not joking
...
...
No answer. He knew all of them had internet, they should receive his texts. He was worried. Would they really take a joke this far? No they wouldn't. Then what happened?

He sat down in his tent. It was already dark. The only thing he could hear was the sound of his heartbeat and people outside having fun. He was terrified. Anxiety filled his brain. What if they won't come back?
What if they got lost?
What if a giant bear killed them?
No, that's stupid. Think, Makoro, if Terrence was here she would have called you an idiot.
He tried to calm down but the thought of his friends being out there alone and scared was terrifying.

"Hey! I can see you returned, can i come in?" A voice outside his tent asked.
"Sure" he said. He didn't want to see anyone but talking might get him to calm down. Maybe she'll beat some sense into him.

Lara, the girl they met earlier, unzipped his tent and sat down on the edge.
"Where's everyone else?" She asked.
"Dunno" he said.
"What?" She asked confused, thinking it was a joke.
"I said I don't know"
"How could you not know?"
"I said i don't fucking know. I've been texting them for 10 minutes and no one's answering" Makoro waved his phone in her face in frustration.
"When did you last see them?" She asked, seriously this time.
"We went on a little hike to the nearby pond and on the way back we decided to play hide and seek. I was the seeker. I was chasing them but it's like they just disappeared."
"I'm not even gonna bother scolding you about playing hide and seek in a dark, foggy forest. Though we should go look for them or i don't know."
"I texted them before you came that if they don't return in 30 minutes I'm calling the police. I tried searching for them on the way back."
"Some other campers went on an evening hike too, I'll tell my mom to phone them to see if they're with them" Lara stood up and ran to her tent. Makoro just started blankly at his phone screen. He decided to text others from his group.

Me:
- hey guys? Are you awake?

Kanao:
- Ofc 
- did something happen?

Me:
- i need everyone online

Kanao:
- Issac is reading this over my shoulder idk about others

Hiro:
- im online too

Me:
- alright
- the other four got lost

(Everyone):
- what?

Me:
- i called them, texted them but they aren't answering
- we were playing tag in the woods but i can't find them

Kanao:
- are you fr?
- this isn't some kind of a sick joke?

Me:
- im serious
- in 20 minutes I'll call the police if they won't show up

Hiro:
- why the fuck were you playing tag in the woods?

Me:
- we had all our things with us Incase we get lost but
- we just wanted to have fun
- i don't know what happened
- im terrified

Hiro
- okay calm down
- if they won't show up in 15 minutes, file a report
- i will try to contact Yoshida and Seiji

Kanao:
- I'll try Terrence and Issac will try Kei
- hope they're okay
- Makoro try to calm down
- we'll tell you if we have something

After 10 minutes

Me:
- got anything?

Kanao:
- I'm sorry, we've got nothing

Hiro:
- same here

Me:
- ...

He got out of his tent and asked Lara if they found anything.
"I'm sorry. Nothing. We called the other campers but...... We were unsuccessful"
"Alright.... Thanks"
"What are we gonna do"
"What do you think I'm gonna do?" And with that he ran to a worker.
It's been 35 minutes since he sent the messages. Still no one showed up. Messages were received but none of them opened.
"Excuse me?" He asked the worker.
"Yes?"

"I would like to file a report, 4 people went missing"

The next two hours were messy. The police came and he explained the situation. They were sceptical at first but they searched the Forest anyway. He showed them where to look. He didn't sleep that night. No one from his Group did. They were terrified of what happened to their friends.

(The next day)

The Police said they'd contact Makoro if they found anything. Meanwhile Issac, Kanao and Takahiro were on their way to pick him up.

"MAKORO!" Kanao yelled as she ran towards him and hugged the life out him.
"It's okay, we're here." She was hugging him very tightly but he didn't care. He needed it. Hiro and Issac joined the hug. All of them were crying. Some less, some more. Makoro was crying crocodile tears. He was there. He lost tsukishima. He could have saved at least him. But he couldn't. Kei was taken out of his hand right in front of him.
"We're going home okay?" Kanao said. Gently holding his face with her hands. He didn't want to go home. But he was no longer needed. He explained every detail that he could to the police.

But they did exactly that. When they got home, they had to announce it somehow to Tsukishima's family. Oh poor Yamaguchi. What will he think of him? They called Yamaguchi to a meeting with Kei's parents. They were confused but alas, they were sitting by the dinner table. All of them wondering what happened.

"What happened to him? Is he okay?"
Tsukishima's mother asked. Makoro looked down.
"Your son and the other three friends that we went on the hike with are missing." Makoro explained.
"What?" Akiteru said.
"You're lying, please tell me your lying" he continued. Makoro could see the way the color from their faces faded. He couldn't look them in the eyes. He was ashamed.

He explained everything that happened that night. From the race to chasing Tsukishima. Every. Detail.
They were devastated. Who wouldn't be? Their Kei was missing.

Time skip

(First day at school after spring break)
Yamaguchi had to explained everything to the vb team. They were pretty sad too. Of course they were. Ever since their disappearence, Yamaguchi was looking horrible. Black circles around his eyes, it's obvious he was crying himself to sleep. But all of the group(tsukki's group) was like that. Well who's left of it.

Still no news about them. It's like they disappeared in thin air. The only thing they found was a keychain. It belonged to Terrence. They found it in some leaves next to a dirt hill (i still have no idea how to translate it) almost everyone knew about it at school. At aoba Jahosai too. It's not every day you have missing students.

But he doesn't believe that something ate them.

He doesn't believe that someone kidnapped them.

He doesn't believe they got lost.

But they have to be somewhere. There has to be an explanation.

Because Tsukishima Kei disappeared right by him.

But that doesn't make sense