Chapter 7: Welcome To Witchwood

No. Frickin. Way. The room is massive, bathed in sunlight from the large windows. A four-poster double bed takes centre stage, surrounded by a vanity unit, desk, shelves, sofa with a small coffee table, and a gigantic wardrobe filled with clothes. It even has its own bathroom. It's like stepping into a five-star hotel compared to my room at home. And the one at college is even worse.

"I hope you find your bedchamber satisfactory," Leonora stated before exiting, leaving me to rest while she changed clothes. Well, she certainly wasn't wrong in calling it a "bedchamber". It was, indeed, an over-the-top bedroom fit for royalty! Not that I'm complaining.

After indulging in a much-needed bath and changing into jeans and a thick sweater, I find Leonora waiting for me. She looks effortlessly elegant in a simple flared dress of muted pink, offset by a white trench coat.

"Ready to go?" she asks, and I nod enthusiastically.

"Wait," Nyx interjects, appearing at our side. "I'm coming too." His eyes meet Leonora's, challenging her.

"Are you sure you're feeling well enough?" Leonora questions, concern lacing her voice. But Nyx stands his ground, and eventually, she relents.

We make our way through countless rooms and corridors before finally stepping outside what Nyx called the Spring Palace. It's breathtaking; spiky towers and stained-glass windows dominate the structure while hanging plants and vines create an otherworldly atmosphere. White and pink flowers bloom on honey-coloured walls, and I spot little birds darting between balconies. On the exterior of the building, a colourful stained-glass window depicting a vibrant cherry tree in full bloom catches the eye. It's so beautiful that it looks like it was taken straight out of a fairytale.

"Wow," I breathe, unable to tear my gaze away from the palace. Nyx chuckles softly.

"Come on," Leonora says, leading us down a winding path. "Let's show you Witchwood."

As we walk, I take in the splendour around us; the vibrant colours, the whimsical architecture, and the air of magic that seems to hang over everything. My heart races with excitement; this place feels like home, even though I've only just arrived.

The garden before me is a vision of beauty. Spirals and concentric circles of brightly-coloured flowers stretch out in every direction, hedges trimmed into the shapes of animals stand guard around fountains, and swans glide gracefully across a small lake spanned by a wooden bridge. Cherry trees are scattered throughout, their blossoms painting the landscape with shades of pink and white.

Leonora turns to me, her smile warm and inviting. "The fastest way to travel in Witchwood is by tree," she says, motioning for me to follow her towards the nearest cherry tree. I watch, fascinated, as she seems to melt into the trunk, her hand reaching out towards me. Hesitating for just a moment, I take her hand, once again feeling that strange connection to the tree, as if it's an extension of my own body. I step forward, then take another step, and suddenly find myself emerging from another cherry tree, this one overlooking a large, bustling marketplace.

So this is Witchwood. I can hardly believe my eyes as I take in the scene around me. The square is positively teeming with life! Witches swarm from stall to stall, perusing old books, handmade quilts, and admiring pumpkins of all sizes and colours. In the centre of the square stands the enormous cherry tree through which we arrived, and nearby, a gilded statue of a woman piques my interest.

I take a few steps towards Leonora, who's standing in front of some food and trinket stalls. But before I can speak up, something else captures my interest. I approach a nearby stall piled high with freshly baked "witch's bread" as the sign reads, the sweet scent wafting through the air. The round loaves boast a golden yellow crumb and a generous dusting of sugar on top – they look delicious. Nearby, another stand displays an array of bracelets and necklaces, many adorned with the symbol of the Triskelion or featuring intricate floral motifs.