1

I stared off into space as customers traversed around the bakery. The hustle and bustle of Cannibal Town never ceased to amaze me. People roamed the streets no matter how early it was. The scent of lava cakes grabbed my attention. I stared at the tray of bloodied chocolate lava that steamed on top of the miniature cupcakes. I licked my lips as I turned to Mavis, the owner. Mavis had her hair perfectly curled. Her short, chubby stature waddled over to me with the chocolate delicacies. 

"Make sure this daily special looks good under the lights! We need people to buy it! The chocolate expires tomorrow!" Mavis cackled as she shuffled back to the kitchen. "I need to bake some more fingertip cookies just in case Milo comes in today. You know he buys two or three dozen at a time." A small smile crept on my face. Mavis was a wonderful baker and an even better employer. She was the one that took me in the moment I fell into hell even though I was not a cannibal. I was just another lost soul who never did well in any of the districts in hell. I was an outcast, and she made me feel welcomed the moment I walked in for the 'help wanted' sign. I busied myself making sure the cakes sparkled against the lights. 

The bell rang against the silence. 

"I'll be with you in one moment!" I called out as I placed the last few cakes. 

"Oh, take your time! I'm in no hurry. Everyone is headed to the cinema anyway for the early showing of Terrifier!" An angelically polite voice spoke up. I hit my head against the top of the counter while I tried to stand up. I rubbed away at the bump on the back of my head as I closed the display case and looked at the very woman that made my dead heart beat. 

"Rosie! I'm surprised to see you here so early. You didn't want to catch the morning showing?" Shock filtered through my expression as the cannibal overlord stood in front of me. Her soulless eyes glanced at all the sweet treats Mavis had to offer. 

"Oh, I've seen it a thousand times. I am just waiting for something new; you know? Something with more delicious gore than what we already have. Maybe I can convince Valentino to stop directing pornos and get him to make me a good gory film." She shrugged at her own suggestion while she perused. "What do you suggest, Madeline? I need some treats for the emporium, and I just ran out of finger food. Silly of me, I know, but some of my customers clean me out!" Her sharp grin made me melt inside. 

"Mavis was talking about the lava cakes," I suggested. "I am a fan of the bloody cupcakes I made, personally." 

"You made cupcakes?" Excitement lit up the overlord's face. "I have got to get some of those! You make the best cakes this side of the pentagram! Oh, but do not tell Mavis I said that. You know how she gets." I chuckled at her cute comment as I grabbed for a box. 

"Cupcakes, it is. Anything else?" I asked. 

"Oh, you know, maybe a cute girl delivering it to the emporium with me?" Blush crept up my face as I turned back to Rosie. The overlord was known for her flirtatious nature, but it still made me pause every time. 

"Oh, uh, I would have to ask Mavis." 

"Of course! And maybe on the way there, we could stop at the coffee shop down the street. One of my favorite overlords frequents over there for her usual morning coffee. And if you are not busy later, I was going to take the little ones to the library. I would love the company while the little ones get read to." My brow rose as I thought it over. 

"Let me see how much help Mavis needs today." I set the box aside and aimed for the back. Mavis was elbow deep in flour and egg. "Mavis? Rosie was wondering if I could help her run a few errands throughout the day. Would that be okay?" 

"Of course! If Rosie needs help, help her! I should be fine handling this shop on my own for one day." Mavis gave me a shark tooth grin. "Go have fun. I am sure Rosie has been dying for a day with you." My face scrunched up in confusion. Mavis waved me off before I could question it. "Take the day and go have fun. You haven't been off in months, child. That's no way to live, hell or no hell. Go out and live your life child. And tell me all about it tonight over some cookies! I'll be sure to make plain chocolate chip ones, just how you like it." A small smile crawled on my face as I nodded.