Twenty Four: The problem, the assurance and the faith in the future

"I'm sorry," Hannah said for like the millionth time

But Mitchell was ignoring her. Just minutes ago, she was looking into the eyes of a man she loved proclaiming his undying love for her and then moments later, Hannah had dropped the big bombshell. Hayley had crushed Mitchell's car, along with herself.
"But why did you let her drive? She hasn't driven a car before!"

"She told me that William has been giving her lessons and- okay, I'm an idiot. I shouldn't have let her. I'm sorry."

"Well, how bad is it?" Austin asked, his arm wrapped around Mitchell's shoulder. "And who is with her in the hospital?"

They were in an Uber going to the hospital. Hannah sat in the passenger seat and the couple in the back.

"Claire is there. Theo and William might be there too because they were also on their way."

"I'm so going to grill that William," said Mitchell as she turned her attention to the driver. "Excuse me, sir. Can you drive faster? My sister's life is in danger!"

Upon instruction, the driver didn't hesitate to drive faster. Within twenty or so minutes, they were pulling up at the hospital. Austin stayed back to clear the fare while Hannah ran after Mitchell who was racing like a possessed person.
Very soon, they exited the lift to the corridor where Hayley's room was. Claire was standing right outside the room talking to a nurse while William and Theo sat on some of the metallic chairs in the corridor.

Mitchell rushed to Claire and the nurse.
"How is she? Can we see her?"

"She is unconscious right now but she is alright," the nurse answered. "She is responding to the medicine and she also didn't sustain any internal bleeding. She just has a few bruises, a wound on her right arm and she might also still be in shock. So, try not to overwhelm her when she wakes up."

The nurse left after that, leaving the group silent. Nobody said a word for a while till Mitchell said, "I'll go and see her first."

But as soon as she entered the room, she wished that she hadn't. Hayley looked lifeless on that bed, her body unmoving with no signs of waking up. Mitchell remembered that all too well. History was repeating itself. She remembered how their father lay in a bed like that unmoving and lifeless until he was later pronounced dead from heart attack.

What if Hayley didn't survive? Sure, the nurse had said that there was no internal bleeding. But the shock and impact from the accident could also take someone's life. If Hayley didn't make it, what would she do?

"She will be okay," Mitchell heard him before he felt his arms around her. "She will make it and you shall have your dream of living happily ever after."

"Will she?"

"Without a doubt. If she's anything like you, she won't settle for less. She will fight and come back to us."

Austin later led her to the reception to complete the paperwork and then to the hospital chapel where for the first time ever, Mitchell broke down. The sobs were uncontrollable as she shook against Austin's chest. The makeup from before was running down her cheeks effectively staining his shirt.
"D-do you think that I'm a bad sister?"

"I do not," Austin shook his head even though he knew that she couldn't see him. "Nobody thinks that. This was an accident."

"But I should have been there to pick her up. Maybe all this wouldn't have happened."

Running his hands through her now disheveled hair, Austin took the chance to kiss her forehead and nose softly.
"This isn't your fault. It is an accident and you had nothing to do with it."

"But-"

"You know what we are going to do? As soon as she gets out of here and heals, we are going to sign her up for driving lessons at a legal driving school. That way, we can be sure that someone professional is teaching her and this accident won't be happening again."

"We?" Mitchell asked with a sniffle

"Yes, we. You aren't alone now. You have me, my sister, Hannah, Theo and William. But most especially, you two have each other. You always will."

Mitchell turned in his arms to look at him. "You always know what to say. I love you."

"I love you. Don't forget who said it first," he replied. "Wanna get some coffee?"

"Coffee sounds good."

They didn't get to the cafeteria though. Claire found them before they could and let them know that Hayley was wake and dreading seeing them. Especially Mitchell.

"It was my fault," Hayley said as soon as the door to her room opened, her voice coarse and weak. "Hannah didn't want to let me but I convinced her. It was all me."

"And I shall deal with you little brat as soon as we get out of here. Do you need some water?"

"Aren't you going to scream at me? Yell at me to stop being irresponsible or something like that? Aren't you so mad at me?"

"Oh, I am. I can assure you."

"Then, why aren't you yelling at me?"

Mitchell handed her the glass of water.
"Why should I? You always hated it when I did that!"

"I still hate it. But I don't want you to stay mad at me. If you yell at me, I'll know for sure that you have let it all out."

"Do you really want me to yell?"

"No, I don't," Hayley shook her head

"Then I won't."

"You won't?"

"I used to yell and reprimand you because then, I thought you didn't know what was good or bad. But now that you do, I hope that you yell at yourself and never do it again. That's all."

"I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too. I should have signed you up for driving lessons sooner."

"Are you kidding?" Hayley laughed. "Remember how I used to give you hard time each time you mentioned it?"

"Hmm. I wonder what William did to change your mind!"

"Hey. I don't know what you are insinuating there."

Hayley wasn't okay, yet. But she was alive and smiling and happy. That's all Mitchell ever wanted; for them to be happy. She was living the dream and she hoped it wouldn't end any time soon.

It's the end of the story and I am singing *WHAT DOESN'T KILL YOU MUTATES AND TRIES AGAIN by IAMNOTSHANE*
Next is the last chapter