023 | home is where heart is

ASH

"I hope everything is clear" Ash said. Looking over his employees sternly, he added. "Whatever happens, this must be taken care of at once. This is a matter of teamwork so you must work together."

The employees chorused together in affirmative as the raven-haired man dismissed them. They filed out of the room immediately.

"He really is Delia Ketchum's son" One of them whispered before the door closed behind them.

Ash sighed, allowing himself to let loose. He leaned back, slumping against his chair. The calm and composed demeanor replaced with something more lighthearted in its stead.

"Should I leave?" He mumbled, rolling his head over slightly to the left. The clock's hour hand stuck nine at night. He casted a brief glance at the bundles of paperwork that needed his attention.

But for some reason, he didn't feel like doing them. There were a lot of things he didn't feel like doing nowadays.

"Is this what heartbreak feels like?" He mumbled dejectedly. The memories of him ignoring Serena came into his mind.

He felt bad for ignoring her and treating her indifferently. He could understand where her worries were rooted — their worlds were millions of miles apart.

For them to be together meant that Serena had to leave behind everything she had until now. How could she, someone who would stand by his side, ever get away from spotlight?

He hadn't considered that she might have wanted to live a normal away, a life of freedom where she doesn't have to be cautious of her every move.

He hadn't thought of that. And the guilt ate him away. Maybe he should apologise and listened her out.

"It's not too late to do the right thing, Ash" He mumbled to himself, getting up. Knowing Serena, she would rekindle their friendship in a heartbeat.

For him, it was enough.

SERENA

"This is a good idea, right?" The man asked for the millionth time as he paced behind the honey blonde. His face had gone pale from nervousness.

"Of course, trust me" Serena responded, giving him an annoyed look. "You are acting like a freaking bride, Calem."

"Hey, I am seeing my brother after so many years. And that too when -" Calem's glare gave way to another bout of panic. "That too when I didn't contact them after I left. They will kick me out as soon as they see me, I am damn sure."

"Thats not -"

"And they will kick you out too. I hope you know that I am not responsible for you."

"Nothing will happen!" Serena asserted, forcing him to crouch behind the wall. "Not sit here quietly."

They spent the next few moments in silence, the only sound being the clicking of Serena's heels on the terrace's floor. She could understand why Calem would be so anxious; she herself felt jitters all over her body.

". . . I want to go home" Calem poked out his head slightly from behind the wall.

"For God's sake, shut up Calem!"