Situationship

Lexi's POV

"What's the movie about?" I asked as I hopped into his car. He lit a cigarette as he explained the plot, "a man has an affair for a few months until his wife becomes sick," he continues as he puffs a few, "he tries to call the affair off, but the side chick can't seem to let him go." I scoffed, "a cliché."

He shrugged, "maybe there will be a twist." I bit the bottom of my lip as I tried to bring up the conversation I had with Claire, but I couldn't seem to find the right time to bring it up. Ripping the band aid off I just asked, "did you see Claire today?"

He answered quickly to which I said "she called saying you guys had a disagreement." He didn't look so happy as he said, "yeah, what she say?" "She told me she tried to confess her feelings about your situation, but you brushed her off," I answered.

He chuckled to which I asked "why do you treat her like that?" Kai has always been respectful towards me and my family. He's pretty much an older brother to me, so to hear him treating someone let alone someone he considers a friend so shitty isn't like him.

I mean without cause of course I do understand Claire can be hard to deal with, but he has to understand she has a lot of trauma following her. "She didn't tell you the full story did she?" He asked, I shook my head to which he said "it's none of your concern."

Puzzled I asked "well, why not?" "It's between us and I don't understand why she has to run to you every time we have a disagreement." We pulled into the movie theatre and had some time to kill, he turned the car off and turned to me. "Shit, it feels as if Claire and I are in a relationship with how she acts," he chuckled while running his hand through his hair.

"Lex, I've talked with Claire about our situation-ship," he said "when she has pushed I tried to break it off, I know she still wants more from me, but I'm not interested and  I know I'm probably leading her on." He paused for a bit, "would you like me to have a talk with her?" I asked him.

He shook his head "no, again it's not your situation and I wanted to leave you out of it." Kai has always been like this very headstrong and independent. Anytime anyone offered any kind of help he always refused. "Shall we go see your movie?" I asked trying to divert the conversation.

•••

"I give it a 7/10," he said as we hopped into his car "I will say the best part was when the wife mustered up the energy to throw the bitch out the window." I laughed, "the side chick was truly crazy, I mean how did she even survive that?" He shrugged, "movie magic I guess."

After Kai dropped me off I decided to give Claire a call. I felt uneasy about having this conversation with her for I know Kai will be upset with me for meddling, but something told me that this situation needs to be taken care of and Kai isn't handling it very well.

The other part of me regrets having them meet after all, they are pretty much the same person. Claire and I have been friends for two years and I tried for so long to have Kai meet her, but he was set against it. I'm not sure what finally made him change his mind and I'm also not sure what happened between them to lead up to them sleeping with each other.

As of right now I want to amend things because after they have agreed to these terms our friendship hasn't been the same. I heard the knock at the door "hey," I said," you are a little early." She shrugged "didn't have anything better to do." She threw some snacks at me, "strawberry puffs, my favorite!" She laughed "so what's up?" She plopped down onto the couch, I sat next to her putting my snacks onto the table.

"I wanted to talk to you about the argument you had with Kai earlier this afternoon," she rolled her eyes. This is one thing I disliked about Claire, her attitude, but I didn't really say much about it. Even if I wanted to it wouldn't end well for me.

"What about it, Lexi?" She asked sitting back in her seat. "You do know the terms of your relationship, so why do you pester Kai for more?" She laughed "is that what you think I want?" Well, it's what Kai thinks and Kai isn't irrational when it comes to his feelings.

"Ah, Lexi what an innocent mind you have for your age," she tried to light a cigarette, but I ripped it out of her fingers. "You know my parents hate smoking inside," I said handing her the cigarette back. "I'm not as innocent as you and Kai think I am and I hate that you guys treat me as if I'm a child."

"I called you over here because of your attitude towards Kai is very disgusting," she cut me off "disgusting huh?" She laughed "if I didn't know any better Lexi, I'd say you have a thing for Kai."

Here she goes again anytime she feels as if she's losing an argument she has to bring this topic up. Since Kai and I have been such close friends for a good while now of course we get those preposterous rumors about our relationship. It just hurts when Claire has to feed into them. 

"Enough Claire, you out of all people know our relationship," I was trying to keep a calm tone, but she was starting to get under my skin. "Maybe I don't," she said in a snarky tone "maybe you have some feelings building up and you just can't stand me being with Kai."

I scoffed "if you think I'm jealous of what you and Kai have then you are very wrong." I can't believe her she has never treated me like this. "Claire, I'm starting to think you are very insecure and need to sleep with all of these men to fulfill an emptiness that is inside of you..." she slapped me across the face before I could say anything else.

That slap told me that I was right.